Chapter 19: First Impressions

Dinner passed in a blur of conversations. Faster than Jennica realized, the evening was ending, everyone vacating the premises in groups. Rey went to walk with her but was pulled away by Councilwoman Lila--the middle-aged woman obviously still not content with the agreement that was made over the meal. Meanwhile, Finn and Chewie started chatting with some other Councilmen, producing laughter that echoed in the hall. 

So Jennica found herself alone, BB-8 being her escort out once more. She played with the edges of her dress. The fabric soft between her fidgeting fingers. 

BB-8 glanced up at her with a sweet beep.

"Why, thank you, buddy," Jennica smiled.  "I'm definitely not used to dressing up like this."

He released another series of sounds, his head bobbing to and fro. 

"Yeah, you tell Poe that," she chuckled. "Breaking news: his sister in a dress."

She folded her arms, making sure to stroll at a pace easy for the droid. "You should also tell him that Finn looked nice too. I want to see his reaction."

The droid cocked his head with a bwoop.

"Oh, come on, BB-8," Jennica said with a smirk. "He gave the guy his jacket. How can you not know what I'm talking about?"

BB-8 gave an indifferent shake of his head.

She shrugged. "I'm just saying. I can see it."

Silence filled the air then, a peace settling over the scene as they strolled back to her room. It was comforting for once. Just her and BB-8. No shouting. No blaster shots. No engine take-offs. No screams for help. The war seeming out of reach for just a moment.

At least it was quiet, until the sound of jogging footsteps echoed down the hall. Jennica turned, BB-8 joining her in looking at their pursuer.

"Lieutenant," Councilman Zerek called.

"Councilman Zerek," Jennica greeted, straightening herself. "Is there something I can do for you? Is there a problem?" 

He came to a halt in front of her, out of breath. "I was actually--" He took a big gulp of air, steadying himself. "I was wondering if perhaps I could have the honor of...uh...walking you to your room this evening."

Jennica raised her eyebrows. "Um..." She exchanged a glance with BB-8, not knowing how to respond.

The droid read her face though, surprising both her and Zerek with a snarky response. 

Jennica stifled her laughter. "Yes, I'm afraid I already have an escort, Councilman."

Zerek bit his lip. "Oh...well then-uh..."

"But you are free to join us," Jennica clarified, eyeing BB-8 with a smile. "Don't worry about it."

The Councilman released a chuckle, relief evident in his smile. He took his place beside her as she continued her course. His hands dutifully placed behind his back, standing a few inches taller than her.

He didn't make to speak right away, and Jennica studied him. Not really knowing the gentleman beside her. After a few paces of silence, she spoke up. "I should thank you, Councilman, for believing in the Resistance. Closing your borders will help you and your people in the long-run, I'm sure of it."

"Oh, well, of course, Lieutenant. Your reasoning was quite sound. Although, Councilwoman Lila and I do have our grievances," he explained. "Also, please, call me Zerek."

"Jennica," she nodded back. "Tell me, Zerek, why are you so doubtful of our intentions here?"

He straightened. "Well, I apologize for the bluntness, but I just don't trust the Resistance."