Her phone buzzed and she jumped, scrambling to get it out of her pocket.

Jade: Have you signed  the papers yet?

Perrie felt her heart crack in two yet again at Jade's text. Of course she'd want their marriage to be over as soon as possible. She couldn't blame her. 

Perrie: No, I'm sorry I haven't but I can't bring myself to do it

She set her phone back down, her heart thumping in her chest. Part of her foolishly hoped that in response to this Jade would say that she understood, and that maybe they should wait and try to fix things. The logical part of her knew that her message would only bring her wife further disappointment. 

She glanced down at her phone again, the green check mark indicating that Jade had seen her message. She waited a few more minutes, but she didn't respond. She heaved a heavy sigh then tossed her phone in the direction of the couch, and pulled her knees to her chest. Feeling the throb of tears beckoning, she buried her face in her arms and let them fall.

She heard a key fit into the doorknob a few minutes later, and her heart nearly stopped. The only people who had keys to this house were her and Jade.

She heard the door open and close, heard the click of heels on wood as Jade entered their lake house. She heard her move further into the house, the clocks getting louder, and then stop. She looked up to see Jade standing before her wearing a look of concern. 

Neither woman quite knew what to say. All Perrie could think of was that Jade  had come, that she was here right now. That had to count for something, right?

After a few painfully quiet minutes, Jade quietly cleared her throat. "No sleep?" She asked, her question falling into the space between them.

"Can't," Perrie replied, her voice monotonous. She could only imagine what Jade saw. A broken down, pathetic excuse of a wife. She noticed that Jade's gaze lingered on the ring around her neck.

Jade drew in a long breath, then slowly extended a hand to Perrie. She stared at the outstretched hand, then accepted the help as she stood on shaky legs. She stared at their connected hands, couldn't quite believe that the feeling of Jade's smooth skin against hers was real. Almost as quick as it had come Jade pulled her hand away and the moment was over.

"So ..." Jade started, drawing out the o as she looked around the room, her eyes sweeping over the empty sink and pristine counters. Her eyes stopped on something and Perrie followed her gaze to see the divorce papers, laying just as she'd set them down on the table. 

"Is that why you came?" Perrie asked, her voice betraying her as it broke. "To get me to sign the papers?"

Jade turned her eyes to her, and Perrie shrank back under her gaze. "Partially," she replied slowly, "also to talk. To see why it's taken you so long. We can be mature adults about this. Communication is important." 

Perrie let out a breathy high pitched laugh, her melancholy replaced with anger. "Okay, so now communication is important to you," she said, her eyebrows lifting.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Jade demanded, her eyes narrowing.

"I'm just shocked is all," Perrie replied, holding her hands up in mock surrender. "It seemed like you couldn't care less about talking to me before. Every single time you brushed me off, ignored me, means something you know."

Jade let out a long sigh, the fire dimming in her eyes. "I know I fucked up," she whispered, dropping into a chair and burying her face in her hands. "But Per, why did you have to kiss him? Especially in a public place where you knew I'd find out?"