Chapter 32

"Please fasten your seat belts and raise your trays, thank you." The flight attendant comes over the speaker, forcing me to look away from the window for a brief moment. The man next to me, passed out with his head rolled to the side. Shaking my head I look back out the window, I can't believe that I'm actually doing this. I'm going to California again... I hate that I'm doing this. I have to shake my head adjusting the old dirty shop hat Ryker let me take. He said it was full of luck and I needed it now more than ever.

It feels strange wearing the hat, I do admit that it feels good. To hold a piece of him with me at this time. I probably won't be able to wear it into the courtroom but at this point, all that I want is to get this over with. Mr. Jacks said that he would be waiting for me as I got off. We'd have to meet Shelly at the baggage claim. I feel bad making Shelly wait all the way back there. Of course Mr. Jacks likes the fact that he has the badge that'll let him meet me at the gate. I can only shake my head at that.

"Sir, the plane's landing, do you mind putting up your tray?" The man next to me jerks away grumbling an agreement. Glancing at him briefly, I look away forcing myself to take a deep breath. The plane descends easily, it doesn't take long before the plane starts emptying out. Grabbing my backpack, I stand watching for an opening to walk off. A lady stops and gives me an easy smile waving me forward.

"Thank you." I return her smile stepping in front of her and making my way off of the plane. After walking out of the tunnel I look around, trying to find at least one familiar and comforting face. I'm losing my nerve and quickly, I still can't believe that I let Mr. Jacks talked me into this. If I had it my way I'd jump back on the plane and fly back to Nebraska. I just want to run and hide, I know if I do that he'll walk. It's been ten years since it happened, I'm sure my mother has concocted a story to get him out. Hearing their lies is going to hurt.

Who am I kidding this whole thing is going to hurt. Shaking my head I stop in the middle of all of the gates looking around once more. "Lynnie!" Hearing my nickname I stop, and turn seeing Mr. Jacks dressed in uniform with a gentle smile on his face. I grin rushing towards him and throwing myself at him, feeling myself get choked up. He wraps his arms around me, and I feel tears leak from my eyes. I didn't realize how much I missed him, or Shelly.

"I missed you." I hear his deep chuckle, as he pats my back.

"We missed you too, it's good to see you." I have to shake my head with a smile, pulling away from him to wipe my eyes.

"I guess we should go find Shelly before she starts raising hell." He laughs, nods and lets his arms drop.

"Yeah, I'm sure she's ready to raise a riot." Starting the walk I look around, out the window towards the landing strip. I remember when I used to think this was home, that California was where I belonged. Now it just feels strange and unnatural to be here.

"How's that man of yours taking this?" I blush looking down at my feet as we walk. Finally I give a shrug, grabbing onto the straps of my bag for some kind of safety net.

"He doesn't know everything."

"What do you mean he don't know everything?" His gentle voice makes my blush worsen, now I just feel ashamed.

"I haven't been able to tell him everything. He knows I was coming here to speak against my father."

"Does he know what he did?" I shake my head slowly, fresh tears coming to my eyes, I don't know why I wasn't strong enough to tell him before I left.

"He's seen the scar on my leg. I haven't told him anything really, I'm too scared to." Mr. Jacks sighs, and I wince.

"Lynnie, you don't need to be afraid of talking about what happened. If you trust this young man then you need to be honest with him. A relationship is built on communication and trust Lynnie." Mr. Jacks reminds me, making me nod and shove my hands in my pockets.