Chapter 13

Two weeks have passed since that lunch I paid for, I'm still on the lookout for when he attempts to pay me back for lunch. He's yet to actually make any attempt and that worries me some, although he could have forgotten about it. I don't put anything past him though. "Are you ready to go home Rae?" That's another thing that has changed, we've shortened each other's names, he's Ry to me and I'm of course Rae to him. Yawning I give him a nod and collect my bags.

"I am more than ready to go home. Come on Maj." After closing up the shop he drapes an arm around my shoulders, I lean against him tired.

"Are you home alone again tonight?" His question causes me to sigh once again, I told him that I've been having a hard time sleeping because I keep hearing noises that sound more like someone is moving around the outside of the house. I'm sure it's just my mind attempting to play tricks on me but at this point I'm truly freaked the fuck out.

"I think so, she hasn't said that she would be home but then again she doesn't exactly tell me much of her plans as of late." Sitting in the cab of his truck I feel like I could fall asleep as he starts the drive towards my house.

"That's shitty, have you told her about the sounds?"

"Yeah, I tried to, she just pushed it off and said that it's my mind playing tricks." I'm not completely sure it's just my mind though. Major has been spending a lot of time acting like he's following a scent outside. It could just be because I've been working with him and his training again but I don't think it is. He raises his hackles as he scents the ground following what looks like a random path. With me being so tired I just don't know anymore.

"Do you want me to take a look around before I go?" I hate that I want to just ask him to stay over, I'm acting like a child at this point.

"You don't have to, I just hate sleeping in that large house alone. The noises just get to you sometimes I guess." I try to explain to myself I doubt it makes any sense to him though.

"It's fine, I don't mind if I see anything I'll stay. It's Friday anyways, I'll have to come over in the morning to pick you up for work." I nod slowly, happy that he has offered to look around. We pull into the driveway and we both get out walking up the steps I watch Major sniff around before I call him watching as he pushes past me in a rush. I haven't even opened the door fully.

"Well isn't he impatient." Just as I say that I hear growls from inside and his claws hitting the glass of the door. Ry pushes the door open and I flip on the lights we see nothing as Major stands on his back legs snarling at the back window. "What the hell?" Dropping my bags I make my way to him flipping on the back lights and I'm greeted with nothing. I've never seen him do this before.

"Has he ever done this before?"

"No, I've never seen him do this." Staring out the glass I squint my eyes trying to see something that would cause him to growl like that. "Should I open the door?"

"If something is here he'll find it." Ry explains with a shrug pulling the door open. Watching as Major moves about the backyard hackles raised I become more uneasy. His actions tonight seem to just be the straw that broke the camel's back.

"Do we go and look around?" I'm unsure of this whole situation, I'm not sure of anything right about now.

"If you hand me a flashlight I'll take a look around, why don't you stay up by the door ok?" Reaching for the flashlight I scoff at him. I most certainly will not just wait inside the house.

"No, if you're looking around I'm coming with you. I'd rather not be a sitting duck for whatever is going on." I'm not about to be seen as some kind of coward by Ry, I actually care about what he thinks about me, I'd rather not mess that up just yet.