Chapter 24

My mom has been home for the past few days, and I have to say that I'm actually happy about it. I can't believe I'm saying that. I grin and shake my head, Major still isn't sure about her being home. I'm just happy that we are building our relationship. She's even had me show her around town, while I still don't know anything about her work or her boss. I have been able to introduce her to the area. And for some reason that makes me so freaking happy. I'm excited that things between us have gotten better.

I'm also hopeful that one day, I'll have a relationship with my mother, one that rivals the one Ryker shares with his parents. I don't know what about the idea makes me so giddy. She's even making an effort to play with Major more, he gives her a funny look and still brings the toys towards me. He doesn't trust her, I find it pretty funny. "I love seeing that beautiful smile on your face." I look up giving a grin to Sandy. I can admit that I'm just happier all around, who knew my mom being back in my life would do that?

"It's a beautiful day." I give a shrug grabbing the work order and keys she's handing me.

"You are so happy, I'm loving it. I wish I still had your teenage energy." She chuckles heading back into the front of the shop. I grin giving my head a shake, I force myself to look down at the word order. Seeing Ryker's name at the top. That's another thing that has changed, ever since he met my mom, he's been quiet. It makes me wonder if there is something wrong. I don't think she said anything to him that upset him. While she doesn't know we're dating, I think I'd prefer to keep it that way if I'm being honest.

Thunderstruck by AC/DC comes on as I grab the order walking over to Ryker's station seeing his head stuck under the hood of a truck that has been nothing but trouble for him. The owner of the truck only does what is necessary to get it running again. Meaning this is the third time it's been back in the shop. For something that could've been fixed the previous trip. It's pretty said if I'm being honest, I can only shake my head. Using the stool that he is so kind to keep near his station I climb up to look in the engine bay.

Watching him do something to the truck, I'm still learning everything about cars and stuff. "Is it still giving you trouble?" Ryker turns to look at me with an annoyed expression.

"You have no fucking idea. I hate this stupid truck. I'm guessing Mom gave you another present for me?" I give him a sorry smile.

"I'll give you a kiss to make it better?" He chuckles, leaning in and stealing a kiss. Grinning into it, I finally forced myself to pull away.

"What's this one looking like?" I laugh at his question holding it up so he can read it.

"I think this one won't be too annoying? Or am I wrong?" I hear him huff, I'm gonna take a guess and say I'm wrong.

"It's a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I hate Jeeps." I give him a look of pity, yeah it's not his day that's for sure.

"I'm sorry Ry, I wish I could help you." He sighs, making me chuckle and pat his shoulder. Walking away I catch a glimpse of a familiar face, and I have to pause. Giving my head a shake and taking a quick peek, I'm losing my mind. For a moment I thought I saw the man from the other night. The one that picked up my mother's bag. I have to smile and roll my eyes, I'm losing my sanity.

"Raelynn, can you take this estimate to Sandy? She needs to get a hold of the customer." I hear Robert call to me. Having to turn around to grab the work, I give him a smile.

"Sure thing!" I have to chuckle to myself as I hear Cherry Pie by Warrant come on. I haven't heard this song in a while. Walking through the door I see Sandy sitting at the desk with a book cracked open. "Hey Sandy, Robert finished up his estimate from the Dodge Neon he's been working on." Sandy glances at me looking at the paperwork I hold out to her.