Chapter 14

"Raelynn!" An angry whisper brings my mind awake even as a hand shakes me, forcing my eyes open. Blinking owlishly, I stare up at my mothers, reddening face, and I become confused.

"What?" I whisper back sitting up, I watch as she waves me towards the door away from a sleeping Ryker. Sighing, I stood up groaning from the position I had fallen asleep in, my knees curled up as I worked on my homework. I had fallen asleep shortly after packing up my bag not bothering to stretch out my legs. That had been a big mistake on my part, my knees ache and my legs feel really stiff. I start to wonder if I'm a lot older than eighteen. With a shake of my head I walk to the door leaning against the door frame tired. I had actually fallen asleep, with peaceful dreams ahead of me.

"Who on earth is that?!" She seethes with the attempt to be quiet, looking over my shoulder I just use my hand to rub my eyes. I hadn't even put on my glasses.

"He's a friend from work. He offered to stay over when Major started acting strange tonight. I didn't know you were gonna be home tonight." I make sure to keep my voice down trying not to wake him up.

"What would that have changed your little plans?" Giving her a funny look, I watch as her face burns with anger.

"What plans? He offered to stay over because Major acted like someone was trying to break in and he didn't feel comfortable leaving me alone. Ryker was just being a gentleman." I explain, I don't know why she is acting this way.

"What are you trying to act like a harlot?" I scrunch my brows, my blood starts to boil at that.

"Really? Ryker was just being nice, I'm not or have I ever been a harlot. What has gotten into you, why would you say that?" And to think that things between my mother and I were getting better. We hadn't fought in a long time, and yet this?

"Your acting just like your father said, nothing more than a whore." She scoffs and I feel tears of anger and hurt boil to the surface. That simple word hurts me so much more than someone might think. That word alone speaks of nothing but a fake truth that had been forced upon me.

"He knows nothing of me, never has and never will." I can hear my voice break as I exhale, attempting to lower my voice. It'd be one thing to wake Ryker up because of my mother and I talking, but to wake him up during this argument. You might as well just bury me in an early grave of embarrassment.

"Just look at that you're asking for something." I look down at my shorts and cami, at one point my cami had ridden up, probably when I rolled over or something. With the heat on, Ryker laying next to me and I was under all of the covers I got really warm, I took of my hoodie so fucking what.

"Why are you even here?" I whisper ignoring her comment just wishing that this argument would end. My face flames with the shame of a painful past, nightmare's that started to go away she always manages to bring back with a few sharp words.

"I needed to get a few things for my trip. I was only going to be in and out, until I saw you sleeping with a man." She hisses poking her sharp finger into my shoulder, jostling me.

"We didn't even do anything, if all you're going to do is harass me then maybe it's best if you just get your things and go back to your wonderful life of traveling." She rolls her eyes, lifting her nose at me a little.

"What so you can get back to your plan of whoring yourself to this man? Keaton said that you were good at spreading them." She huffs and my blood boils as that name passes her lips. I feel the small relationship we had been building shatter as the name of the devil passes her lips.

"I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that." Sniffling I hold my head up as I push past her, walking down the stairs to go change the laundry over. I feel the tears rolling down my cheeks as my memories play in full force. All that I wanted was a relationship with my mother, is that so bad to ask for? My breath stutters as I move the wet clothes to the drier, thankful for the distraction this gives me. I hear my mother moving around some before stomping down the stairs. I don't bother to say goodbye, or ask where she's going. I don't bother to say anything more to her as I hear the door shut.