Prologue

"Aaaaand this should be the last of it!" I huffed as I unpacked the last box. Moving to a new place in an unfamiliar area by myself is nerve-wracking yet exciting at the same time, finally some sweet independence! I set down the last of my plushies on the bed.

I consider myself a normal person, just a woman starting university and having worries about whether I would be able to get along with my peers; thinking about getting a part-time job to provide for my hobbies. I look proudly at my collection of various figurines. Rubbing my chin, I nod my head in satisfaction. Stretching, I get up to take a long, hot shower. God I need more exercise.

Stepping back into my room, I heard the sound of my phone ringing from bed, it's dad. I answered, "Hey Dad! What's up?"

"Leah, everything good and sorted? I'm sure you must be exhausted now."

"Yup! I think I'll hit the hay now, just took a shower."

"That's good, I'll get out of your hair now love, have a good rest."

"Love you, dad." I ended the call while yawning.

Snuggling in bed as promised. I slowly drifted off to dreamland...

I wake up and stretch, expecting to feel the normal cracking of my bones... Wait I can't feel anything?! What's going on?! I frantically look around, only to find... My body...

I freeze.

.:~*~:.

I don't know how to react to this, but it seems I, Leah Clover, have died. In my sleep no less. Due to a gas leak. Much Wow. I'm speechless. This is a new building and the rent was pretty steep so I expected the facilities to be... You know... SAFE?! ... At least the death wasn't painful...

Arghhh even worse, it seems to be due to an irresponsible builder who fucked up, even after being reminded to check the gas properly. Great. Lovely. Ugh. I can only float around and deadpan at that particular builder and curse my luck that he was working on the room I rented. At the very least, everyone else living here in this new dorm didn't die from the gas leak from my room.

Despondently, I watch on as my body is discovered in the building. My Dad came to check up on me after I missed the daily call we promised to do. Sure, it may sound like helicopter parenting, but in reality the calls are pretty short and not too much trouble as it was only to check whether we were both okay or not. I try to take off some of the burden of raising me since I can emphasise a single dad taking care of their only daughter.

Seeing my dad cry so heartbreakingly over my body. I guess the shock caught up to me, I started to cry silent tears too.

I'm glad I at least said "love you" one last time, to my dad.

.:~*~:.

Opening my eyes, expecting to see the scene of my death, I see a blue popup window instead reading:

[Welcome, player]

I blink.

... Wait what?