Chapter 24: New Home

Start from the beginning

She picks up some files and sits in her chair. She opens the files.

Maggie: I believe I have room for all of you in a variety of places. All of you and your families will be able to live here in the capital, while the rest will be spread out in our many communities and settlements.

Clem: That'll be great. We can finally get some sleep not having to worry about their safety.

Maggie: Well, I can assure you they'll be just fine with their arrangements. If at any point you feel like you need some more supplies, you're welcome to go to the shops and buy whatever you want. That is if you have enough to pay for it.

You: So we will need to find jobs?

Maggie: You will. But since you're all new, I'm gonna start you all off with sixty-thousand credits. That should last you all, at least, a year of home appliances, taxes, so and so.

You: Wow. Thank you so much.

Maggie: Oh, I ain't finished. Since you've helped us with so much in the past, I'd like to give you and Clementine an extra forty-thousand... Each.

You: W--what?

Clem: We can't accept that. That's just not the right thing to do to a community like this.

Maggie: We've got plenty of points to go around. A hundred-forty-thousand's barely a dent in our economy. I insist.

Aasim: What do we do for jobs?

Maggie: Well, there're plenty to choose from. We've got train conductors, police, senators, even roamer hunters.

Violet: "Roamer hunters"? What're those?

Maggie: Here in the Commonwealth, it's very rare to find a roamer inside the safe zone. If you ever find one, kill it, and you can receive five-hundred credits. But if you bring it in alive, it's worth a thousand.

Ruby: What do y'all do with alive walkers?

Maggie: Well, they're used for weapons training, mostly. But we do occasionally use them for educational purposes.

El: Is that safe?

Maggie: We make sure they're contained when presented. We're not trying to put anyone in danger. In fact, that's exactly the OPPOSITE of what we want. We're trying to rid this place of roamers. We feel like people should get a reward for it.

Christa: Well, how often do walkers turn up?

Maggie: Not very often. But it's definitely worth it if anyone's willing to go out and make sure they aren't a threat.

Louis: I totally want that job.

You all look at Louis.

Louis: What? Killing walkers is my specialty.

Maggie: Well, that'll be a good trait for this place. We could use someone like you.

You all look back at Maggie. She stands up and holds out her hand for a handshake.

Maggie: Is it a deal?

You and Clem look at each other and smile. You both look back at Maggie. You stand up and you shake her hand.

You: Deal.

Timeskip

You and Clem are walking down the busy streets of the Commonwealth hand-in-hand. A bunch of people are walking around in suits and stuff.

You and Clem pass by a window. Making you stop dead in your tracks. You see fancy tables being set up in a nice restaurant. Clem stops walking and looks at you.