- C H A P T E R * * E L E V E N -

We're not really going on a hike even though Big Moose Mountain is a hiking place with a breathtaking view once you're on the top of the mountain

We're not really going on a hike even though Big Moose Mountain is a hiking place with a breathtaking view once you're on the top of the mountain. One of the reasons is that Dylan didn't bring his hiking stuff, and I don't own one. And for Isaiah, I don't think he's had time to prepare for this considering my mom and Bill just talked to him in such a late notice. But Dylan did describe the length and surface.

Before you reach the top, you have to trek 4 miles. Now, I'm not really a big fan of "miles" because in the Philippines, we always use kilometers, so when Dylan explained it to me, I was the only one who looked like an idiot. He didn't clear it, though, so I had to search it on internet: "what is 4 miles in kilometer". And I got the 6.4 kilometers as a result.

Still I must have looked like a real idiot.

As he told me, when entering the trail, you will be greeted with hardwood forest consisting of maple, beech, and birch, and as you enter the trail, you will see a lot of stuff that's abandoned but preserved greatly such as the old fire warden cabin – a symbol of Maine's historic dedication to the protection and preservation of its natural resources. As you continue to trek, the path will be quite steep and rough, but while trekking, you will get a glimpse of the towns surrounding the mountain which is certainly breathtaking. Once you're on the top, which will take an hour or so, depending on how fast you trek.

Earlier, Isaiah went to the nearest town to go grocery shopping as he didn't seem to be interested with what Dylan was telling me about the mountain. In fact, he seemed irritated. Surprisingly, Dylan let Isaiah use his car. Maybe because he thought that we really needed food and a few things while we're here. I expected that there would be a bit of an argument between the two, considering they always like to throw shades at each other. Maybe I judged them too early, or maybe not.

So Dylan kept telling me about this place and how it is special to him in so many ways as this place is the first area where his dad took him to go trekking, and at that time, he wasn't really interested at that sport because he couldn't really think of why someone would like doing this. But eventually, when they reached the top, his perception changed and his dad was able to convince that trekking is good.

It's so nice to listen to the person who shares what they like to do, and talk about their experiences.

Me, I really don't have much experience with trekking, or mountain climbing. Even if I wanted to, my mom would never let me as it's too risky for my age. If you have a Filipina mom, you would understand. Filipina moms are quite scary, and the tsinelas; you don't want them holding a tsinelas. Otherwise, get ready to sleep as you cry your eyes out. Filipino moms, in general, are terror moms. But they can also be the most loving humans you'd ever meet.

"Oh good, he's back." Dylan stands up from his seat, and we both look out the window. "Damn, it's night already. I wish he bought some meat so we could grill. There's a griller outside we can use. Just have to ask from the reception for permission though."