[ 11 ]

_______________
__________
_____

D E C A Y

11

"Sometimes the greatest adventure is simply a conversation

"Sometimes the greatest adventure is simply a conversation."

Wisconsin, America
September, 1942

LUCY'S EYES FLICKERED ACROSS the army base from the window of her room, observing the familiar sight of soldiers marching back and forth. Her eyes settled on a line of recruits, awaiting for instructions. Her heart thrummed calmly as she adjusted her uniform, which was completely black and equivalent to a man's uniform. Joining the SSR came with a baggage of sexism, and Lucy merely overlooked the inequality between men and women. She was here to train and improve her physical abilities- she was out of practice, and trusted no one to keep her safe from HYDRA- that was all.

A sigh escaped her lips as she pulled a pill bottle from beneath her mattress, pulling the cap open. It had been over a year since she'd adjusted to pills, instead of IV drips- thanks to Abraham- but having to take medicine that could potentially kill someone was dangerous and necessary to hide. She popped two dry pills in her mouth before placing the bottle back underneath her mattress. She swallowed the pills as she heard the door open. She instinctively held her hands out, palm-open, then clasped them together as footsteps drew closer.

She turned with a small smile on her lips.

Peggy was dressed in her uniform, skirt hovering at her knees. She smiled and pointed behind her.

"The new recruits are waiting for both of us, Lu." She said and Lucy turned her head back towards the window.

She gazed at the men, memorizing their status, height, weight and threat levels. She blinked and spun on her heel, walking past Peggy and out the door. Peggy followed besides her and they exited the building, walking towards another soldier holding several clipboards in his hands. Lucy shoved her hands in her pockets lazily as they approached the new recruits.

"Recruits, attention!" Peggy ordered as she stepped in front of them.

They instantly straightened and Lucy ignored the urge to do the same. She stood besides Peggy as the soldier who followed passed clipboards to each of the new recruits. A few men stared at her but the feeling was familiar, so she paid them no attention.

"Gentlemen, I'm Agent Carter, and this is Agent Baker." She said, eyes flickering between the men.

Lucy cleared her throat.

"We supervise all operations for this division." She continued, her German accent seeping through her words ever so softly.

One of the recruits raised his eyebrow and Lucy paused as he spoke.