[ 52 ]

_______________
__________
_____

W I N T E R

52

"I look on and do nothing to protect my family

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"I look on and do nothing to protect my family."

Texas, America.
November, 1963

FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS Lucy had grown familiar with being Verfall and nothing else. It would've been impossible for Lucy to remain sane if she didn't, so she let herself become the weapon they wanted. She had spent most of her time in cryostasis, and had assumed she was taken out of cryo every two months for the first two years, remaining awake for one month alongside James- the Soldier- who she grew accustomed to calling Winter.

The time she'd spent awake had been agonizing.

She had learned several new languages that usually ended in punishment because she couldn't remember a verb or conjugation. When she ended up lucky she'd spent her time sparring with James, training him until he advanced so far he fought better than her and their positions swapped. Sometimes they were put in a cell with an informant, seated together to catch up on new weaponry, new concepts, new facilities-  like this one, which was filled with American agents.

There was a time Lucy had pondered over the thought of reminding Winter of who he really was, but she ended up not doing so because of the consequences that hung over them.

If Winter managed to remember he was a person just like their handlers, he would immediately be dragged to the Chair and he'd be in excruciating pain- all because of her. If he didn't remember he was a person, and denied her words, he'd end up reporting to his superiors and they'd both be punished.

Now she rarely thought about escaping.

If Winter didn't budge, then Verfall wouldn't either. They were a package, a pair, and neither of them ever left each other's side. Some agents found it amusing, some agents found it pitiful.

Verfall rarely noticed their gazes.

She pulled her knees to her chest, leaning her chin against her legs as her eyes flitted past Winter, who was seated at the opposite corner of their cell, staring in front of him. Verfall knew to avoid him when he entered a blank state. She'd made that mistake one too many times and ended up in an awkward staring contest with Winter pinning her down with his eyes, a dangerous gleam in them. All things considered, she was glad he hadn't thrown a fist yet, even though she was sure he wanted to.

Winter remained staring for a few long seconds, and Verfall's eyes skittered away. She fidgeted with the blade strapped against her thigh, the one weapon she was allowed to have. She would never draw it against the men here anyway, unless she was sure Winter wouldn't get hurt.