[ 42 ]

_______________
__________
_____

C A P T A I N
A M E R I C A

42

"You shouldn't drink poison just because you're thirsty

"You shouldn't drink poison just because you're thirsty."

London, England
February, 1944

LUCY WAS TRAPPED IN a room. It was a familiar room, with four blank walls that seemed to sneer at her as she struggled to find a way out. There was no door, no window- nothing- just her and the four walls. A logical part of her shouted that this was impossible but Lucy had half the mind to care in her panic. She dragged her palms against the concrete, pulling her shaking hands away at the sheer amount of cold emanating from each block. But the room itself was warm, and it made Lucy confused. The box-like room was small enough for her to see everything at once, except for whatever was behind her. She realized the fact rather quickly, looking over her shoulder every few seconds out of paranoia.

She wondered if Dr. Schaffer had escaped and he'd sealed her in a place with no way in or out, until someone broke the walls from the outside. She guessed it was possible, but she didn't dwell on the thought.

The sound of a click had her whirling around.

She blinked with disbelief as Dr. Schaffer leaned against a chair, in front of a table that'd suddenly appeared. She barely had time to process it when her body seemed to move on it's own. She raced towards him and raised her fist. When her fist connected with his nose, blood dripped down his lip. She recoiled, eyes flickering back and forth with confusion as he fell back onto the floor.

She hesitantly looked around the table, and her eyes widened with horror. She clasped a hand to her mouth as she hit the ground with a thud. Dr. Schaffer's eyes were unseeing and his chest had stopped rising and falling. He was dead, in the most literal sense, that Lucy had no idea what she could do. She forced her numb limbs to crawl forwards and she grasped onto his hand.

It was cold.

She yanked her hand back and Lu- Verfall felt tears collect at the edges of her eyes, trickling down her cheeks and dripping to her chin. She reached forwards and wiped the blood from his face, but it continued to flow down his mouth. She stood to her feet, stumbling away with a sharp gasp.

The sound of a click had her whirling around.

She instinctively ducked her head, lowering her shoulders and clasping her hands behind her back. She waited, but when nothing was said, she lifted her head. A scream caught in her throat as her handler stared, dead-eyed and breathless. She scrambled forwards and tried her best to regenerate something- to fix whatever she'd done.