[ 53 ]

_______________
__________
_____

W I N T E R

53

"What hurts more? Leaving in silence, or leaving with a goodbye?"

Cairo, Egypt.
December, 1977

SHE LET OUT A QUIET breath as a silver knife glided through the air, narrowly missing her neck. She skidded back, flipping her dagger with her hand, before sprinting forwards. She kicked up her leg, spinning as she tried to embed her knife into Winter's torso. He blocked her leg and drove his dagger towards her stomach. She slashed her knife in an arc, metal crashing against metal. She pushed forwards and Winter threw his metal fist at her head. She ducked, losing leverage on her knife, the weapon embedding itself into her thigh. Her dagger stabbed into his arm. He stared at her, and she returned the look, before they both ripped out the blades unceremoniously.

She kept her stance wide, her grip firm as blood dripped down her black tactical pants. Her eyes narrowed as Winter lunged forwards powerfully.

Verfall swiftly avoided his blade, his metal arm whirring and clicking with every swing and stretch of his body. She sent a right hook to his side, stopping it half way as she dropped her blade. She caught it with her right hand as she drove her left fist into his stomach.

No sound escaped his mouth as he stumbled back. He flipped the blade in his hand, changing grip as he sliced at her face with the dagger. Verfall ducked, kicking out his feet as she swung her body in a circle. Winter jumped and landed in a crouch as she pushed herself into a lunge, leaning forwards.

Her blade was to his throat, and his to hers. The metal of his dagger scraped her skin, enough that she could feel it but didn't draw blood. She mirrored his movements before she unclasped her hand, letting her knife clatter.

Winter nodded curtly once, a small flicker of pride towards her abilities travelling between his eyes.

He scooped up her blade and handed it to her. She took the dagger by it's handle as they both stood to their feet.

"Holy shit." She heard an unfamiliar voice remark. "That's badass!"

"Language!" Another voice replied sternly.

The bleeding pair turned, eyes zeroed in on the entrance of their training room. Standing in front of the glass double doors was Joseph, followed by a shorter man that resembled him.

Verfall sheathed her dagger as Winter tucked his knife behind his combat boot. He stood to attention as Joseph drew closer to their sparring mat.

Over the last three missions they'd gone on, Joseph had become a constant in their lives. He was there when they awoke, keeping them warm by bringing an unauthorized heater into the room. He was there when they moved from their cell to their training area to wherever they needed to go.