[ 63 ]

_______________
__________
_____

R E D
R O O M

63

"To fail is to get up and try again

"To fail is to get up and try again."

Red Room, ???
September, 1995

THERE TEST WOULD COME IN the form of a live target. Each student needed one, even though the Black Widow's had already been chosen- to an extent. It was possible another student could surpass the privately tutored ones- but it was extremely unlikely. There was a room full of men and women and children, tied individually, by their hands and feet. She had been able to hear them before.

In the halls.

They'd been screaming and crying, hysterical as soon as they were thrown in together.

Verfall and Winter had been sent in once the prisoners had grown eerily silent. Madame B assumed they were planning an escape.

Now they stood in the center of the room, holding no weapons, with one transmitter that crackled. Verfall remained crouched on the tiled floor, while Winter stood with his arms crossed, metal shifting and clicking.

The women were in tears, but had quieted into nothing but small sniffles. The children were terrified.The men were watching their movements carefully. Some of them rolled their eyes and scoffed. They had no idea who they were, no idea how dangerous they were. They didn't know seeing Winter's metal arm was an automatic death sentence. If the Black Widows in training failed to kill them, Winter and Verfall would have to.

Verfall tilted her head back as one of the men shifted on the floor. She clicked her tongue twice, her eyes on the man, who glared in response. Winter didn't turn to look at her, instead producing two short clicks back. Her eyes shifted to the side of the room, and the man who'd been moving immediately jumped up, followed by four more of them.

"Yours." Winter grunted, hearing the rustling of clothes.

Verfall scowled underneath her mask.

They collapsed before the white wisps of energy even touched them, ankles buckling and snapping with disturbing cracks. They let out screams as their knees hit the ground and Winter jerked his head to the side.

Too loud.

The wisps whipped forwards at an inhuman pace, their eyes rolling into the back of their heads.

Silence settled and the prisoners froze, terrified. Cries started to erupt again, and Winter pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Winter." She said.