TrAnSMISSION 14.0

🎮

🎮

Do you remember...Uncle?

🎮

Kinley runs in the rain with no destination in mind. The rain is cold, pelting against her poorly covered skin. She sobs heavily, nearly stumbling as she does.

Daniel, her mother's latest boyfriend, said the most awful things to her tonight. He called her a recluse, a weirdo, a spaz. He told her that it's no wonder her mom wants nothing to do with her. That every mother just wants a normal daughter.

It broke her heart, but not as much as mom flipping through the channels on the tv as if she hadn't heard anything at all, as if confirming all of his cruel words.

Kinley finds herself standing in front of a closed diner, the open sign flickering with surging electricity despite being turned off. She doesn't understand what drew her there or how she happened to run up just as the owner - an older man who asked her to call him Uncle - was heading towards his car.

He'd wrapped her up in his coat, holding an umbrella over their heads as he led her inside his establishment. Uncle sat her down at a booth and whipped her up some hot chocolate.

After telling him through her tears what had happened, Uncle smiled at her gently. He looked over to the vase on the table with a twig of flowers the most beautiful shade of blue.

He plucked it from the vase and held it out to her, " Do you know what this is?"

Kinley shook her head with a pitiful sniffle. Uncle's eyes soften at the young girl, " This is called a Forget-me-not. I think it's fitting don't you?"

She takes the flower from his fingers when he holds it out for her. She studies the pretty flowers a bit sadly.

She'd forget me.

Uncle wraps his hands around hers that hold the flower so desperately. She looks up at him in shock to find him looking at her with these wise all seeing eyes, " I think everyone fears being forgotten, but I know for a fact Kinley, I'll never forget you or this night."

Kinley's lip quivers, eyes widening like a puppy's. She jumps up from her seat and tosses herself at the old man, crying into his shoulder. He smiles and pats her head, " Now now my dear. Everything is alright."

🎮

Kinley waves goodbye to Uncle, feeling much lighter after their talk. He waves back, reminding her of her promise to visit again soon.

She nods and goes to walk away before realizing she's still holding the flower. She turns around quickly and tries to hand it back to him, but he simply raises his hand.

"No, my dear. That's for you."
"For me," she asks.

He nods, " So you won't forget just how wanted and loved you are. So you won't forget no matter what, you'll never truly be alone. So that you'll remember, I'm here for you just waiting for you to find me."

TRANSMISSION END