30.Whitford Marine Research Lab.

Y/N couldn't sleep that night. She kept checking her phone every couple minutes, waiting restlessly for it to be time for her to leave. She let out a groan of annoyance, she still had at least half an hour to wait.

She had returned home from Murphy's and eaten dinner with her family as normal. After that, she had gone upstairs saying she wanted to go to sleep early, but instead of getting ready for bed, she had changed into the clothes that the old barkeep had given her. The black hoodie had fit her perfectly, as did the black cargo pants, black shoes, black beanie, and black gloves.

She crawled under the covers in case one of her parents got the urge to check up on her in the middle of the night. She brought her phone under the covers with her and waited impatiently for the clock to show her the time she wanted. Finally, she saw that it was a quarter till midnight and she shot out of bed like someone had lit a firecracker under her.

She hurried across her room but slowed down as she rested her hands on the door, she pushed it open and slipped out as quietly as possible. She crept down the hallway, grateful that her room was closer to the stairs than her parents.

She made her way down the staircase, the slightest of rustling from the carpet beneath her feet putting her on edge. Her heart was in her throat by the time she reached the hardwood of the entrance hall.

Calm down, Y/N told herself firmly as she placed her hand on the front door's lock and turned it slowly. Now's not the time to be nervous. I'm not even inside the Marine Institute yet.

. . .

It was shortly after midnight by the time the cheery red facade of Murphy's came into view. Y/N felt a wave of relief wash over her as she hurried towards the light that was shining through the dirty windows of the pub out onto the nighttime street.

It had been a nerve-wracking experience walking through the city streets all by herself at that late hour, one she hoped that she would never have to repeat. Not slowing the speed walk that she had maintained throughout her entire journey through the city, Y/N placed her hand on the rough paint of the door and pushed it open.

She was enveloped by the comforting smell of smoke, burning peat, alcohol, and the familiar feeling that only old pubs could have. Y/N let out a sigh as she entered the warm light of the pub and closed the door behind her. So much in her life had changed since she first walked through that door. Even though it had only been a few weeks it felt like it had been a lifetime. Yet Murphy's was the same as it had been the day she first wandered in, Y/N guessed that it had always been that way.

She glanced around the cozy bar and was happy to see that everyone else was already there. Starla and Tomás were sitting next to each other, both drinking cups of hot chocolate, James was hunched over his laptop, drinking something that looked suspiciously like Guinness, and Murphy was in the midst of talking to Mave.

"She should be here at any moment now- Ah, there ya are Y/N," Murphy greeted her warmly as he noticed her standing in the doorway. "I hope the clothes fit ya alright."

"They do," Y/N replied, fidgeting with the sleeve of the hoodie to combat her growing nerves. "Thanks for lending them to me."

"Don't mention it," Murphy said, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. "Now that ya are here it's time for us to get to work. James are ya ready? It's been about two years since we've done a heist like this ya sure yar up far it?"

"Don't sweat it, old man," James snapped, typing away at his keyboard, a sour expression on his face. He took a swing from his glass, "I wouldn't go and forget the only thing I know how to do."

An awkward silence followed James' statement, broken only by the clicking sound of the keys and the faint crackling of the fireplace. After a few minutes, James let out a heavy sigh and removed his hands from his computer. "Ok, I'm in. I have full access to the security system."

He made eye contact with Y/N for long enough to toss something at her before returning his attention to his screen. She managed to catch it as he said, "here's an earpiece. I'll use the lenses of the cameras to guide you through the best that I can, Mission Impossible style, while any camera footage captured while you're in the building will be corrupted and unreviewable. It's not pretty but it will do the job."

"I-I see,'' Y/N replied, feeling her anxiety skyrocket. They were all depending on her to get Roan's sealskin back, what if she failed?

"You won't fail Y/N," Tomás told her in the same monotone voice he always used.

"Tomás is right. You can do this Y/N, I just know it!" Starla chimed in, a chocolate mustache on her face from the hot choco.

"Thank you," Y/N said feeling her nerves calm slightly. The pair at the table stood and Y/N gave them each a hug. After she pulled away from them she asked, "so, is everything ready to go?"

"Yes, everything's ready, dear," Mave said, giving Y/N her own hug. "Just go through the front door of Murphy's and you'll find yourself somewhere within the facility. James will guide you from there."

"Good luck, Y/N," Murphy told her as she pulled away from the old woman and hooked the earpiece around her ear. It was more uncomfortable than she had expected. "We'll all be here waitin' far ya. James'll know if somethin' happens to ya and we'll all rush to yar side if it does."

"Sounds like a plan," Y/N said, trying to sound more confident than she felt. She nodded her head to the other people in the bar before she crossed to the door in a few quick strides. Taking a deep breath, Y/N pulled the door open and crossed over the threshold before she could overthink it. She had just broken into the Whitford Marine Institute.

A/N

So, that happened. I think this is the quickest I have ever finished a chapter which is pretty neat, (I won't know what to do for the rest of the day.)

Anyway, I will be switching over to writing The Butterfly Bracelet for the next ten days, and I must confess that I am really looking forward to returning to it. I feel like it is a much better portal of my style of writing, so if you like this book, I encourage you to consider checking out the other book I am currently working on as well. ^~^

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~