40. Slán Go Fóill.

''WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!" Y/N cried, tears streaming down her face as she watched the little boat travel further away from the beach. "ROAN'S DYING!! if we can't save him he'll, he'll..."

"I'm sorry we couldn't do more Y/N," Mave said, crouching down next to Y/N and giving her a comforting hug, Eve joined her even though she was still confused as to what was going on. "That madman would have killed Roan if we tried anything."

"But now he's just going to die anyway!" Y/N spat in anger as the moon continued to rise, looming threateningly over all of them. Like a ticking clock, it showed exactly how little time Roan had left. "HE CAN'T DIE! I-I... I promised him that he would live... If my silly feelings didn't get in the way he would already be a seal by now."

Starla and Eve held her close, trying to comfort her the best they could. Murphy, James, and Tomás were all busy tending to Salvador's injuries and hadn't even noticed that Ethan had taken Roan and the sealskins.

Starla was just standing there, oblivious to all the heartache around her as she gazed up at the moon with her large eyes, a small smile sitting on her lips. Loose strands of her blonde hair blown about in the breeze.

"HOW CAN YOU LOOK SO CHEERFUL AT A TIME LIKE THIS?!" Y/N sobbed, balling her hands into fists as she knelt on the wet sand. Everything, all their work and peril had been for nothing, and Starla had the nerve to smile.

"Because everything is going to work out fine," she said serenely. "It has been fated to work out fine ever since you and Roan realized your feelings for each other. Your love for Roan is how you succeed in getting his sealskin, his love for you will save his life tonight, and your love for each other will one day save all of the Everwhere."

"H-How can you know all this?!" Y/N asked in disbelief. Starla had always been an optimist, but how she could guarantee something so unlikely?

"Simple, I saw it at the bottom of a bowl of ice cream," She said. Before Y/N could interrogate her anymore she suddenly started to dance around in excitement. "quick look, I think Roan's love for you is about to save him!"

Starla pointed out over the bay, and Y/N jumped to her feet, splashing out to her knees in the cold water to get a better view of the little motorboat. She didn't dare to hope, but at the same time, she couldn't help but hope that Roan would be alright in spite of herself. 

While the group on the shore watched on in apprehension, an interesting conversation was being had by the two men in the boat that was thankfully out of earshot of the other people. "Please, just leave us be... We... We just want to be... Together..." Roan said in a raspy whisper.

"I'm not about to sacrifice the only chance I have to find the woman I care about because of a couple of children who are 'in lwove'," Ethan spat mockingly, turning to motor on the boat of and letting it idle in the water. "Wake up boy! What you and my niece have isn't real, and it never will be. You are just foolish children who know nothing about life." Ethan changed his focus from the dying Selkie boy to Y/N's sealskin. He started to take off his clothes and wrapped the skin around his shoulders.

"We may be young, but that doesn't make us foolish," Roan growled angrily, his rage at Ethan's words filling him with energy. He took advantage of Ethan's distraction and pounced on him, knocking him to the floor of the boat. "I love Y/N more than life itself! I may be inexperienced and naive, but that I know with all my heart."

"I was willing to die just to be with her, imagine what I am willing to do to you for getting in the way of my love," Roan said in a low voice. His pale, hollowed face was twisted into a sickening grin as he pinned Ethan down. "I am not a human, even though I look like one. Your culture, and more importantly, your morals are all foreign to me. I will do what I want to you, without any limitations."