17. Lightning and Thunder.

"How would you like to spend the night here?" Y/N asked Roan as the sky continued to dump buckets outside. She stroked his head a bit to calm him down, the thunder still ringing in his ears.

He pulled away enough to look up at Y/N with wide eyes, "r-really?" Roan asked, unable to believe his ears. "I get to stay?"

"Yes, Roan, you get to stay, until morning anyway," Y/N reassured him. "What kind of monster would I be to force you out into a storm like that?"

"Yay!" Roan exclaimed, beaming from ear-to-ear, and doing his best to jump up and down in his tired state. "Yay! I get to stay-stay," he tripped over his words in his excitement at being able to stay with Y/N a bit longer.

"Yes, now come on," Y/N said, taking his hand and smiling back at him. "Let's go get the guest bedroom set up for you, shall we?"

Y/N led the way upstairs with Roan following close behind her. She pointed out the hall bathroom and her room along the way, saying that Roan could come and get her if he needed anything.

Entering the nautically themed guest room, Y/N flicked on the light as Roan made straight for the bed. Not even bothering to remove his clothes he dove under the covers. He leaned back against the pillows and let out a sigh of contentment.

"Well, you look to have everything under control, so I'll say goodnight," Y/N said from where she stood in the doorway. Resting her hand on the handle, she began to close the door as she continued, "I'm in the room right across the hall, if you need something, don't hesitate to come and get me."

"Wait," Roan called, reaching out a hand to Y/N. His face showed fear, and even though his eyelids were drooping with exhaustion he refused to let them close. "Wait," he repeated in a softer voice. "Please, stay with me until I fall asleep."

Y/N couldn't help but find it adorable that he made such a cute request so seriously. She walked over to his bedside and sat down. She held one of his hands in hers and his tired face lit up as she said, "don't worry, I'll be right here until you fall asleep."

Roan attempted to thank her, but it came out as a garbled mumble as he was already dozing off. The hand Y/N held clutched onto her fingers tightly, as though scared that she would disappear. It took several minutes for Roan's sleeping grip to loosen enough for Y/N to slide her hand from his grasp.

She pushed a silky strand of his hair out of his face as she rose from the side of the bed. Roan's cute little snores filled the room as she exited quietly and crossed the hall to her own room. Getting into her own bed Y/N let the blankets envelop her, she fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

. . .

Y/N was awoken in the middle of the night by a deafening crack of thunder. She bolted up in bed and looked around in confusion for several moments until another loud rumble was heard outside. She let out a sigh of relief as she realized that it was just the sound of the raging storm outside.

Settling down, enjoying the ambulance, Y/N closed her eyes to go back to sleep, but seconds later the door to her bedroom was thrown open. She sat up at once and looked over to see the silhouette of someone standing in the doorway.

Roan rushed into her room, wrapped in a blanket for comfort and shaking from head to toe. Tears were sliding down his cheeks as he continued to shiver in fear.

"What's wrong?" Y/N asked, her concern for Roan waking her right up. "What happened?" Before Roan could reply another loud thunderclap was heard. He jumped and let out a squeak of terror.

"Did the thunder scare you?" Y/N asked, and Roan nodded his head subtly. "It's ok, it's just noise," she continued. Noticing that he still looked unconvinced, she patted the spot next to her on the bed and said, "would you like to stay in here with me for a while?"

Roan sat down next to Y/N immediately. He wiggled his arms out of the blanket and wrapped them around Y/N for comfort. He hugged her tightly and said in a very meek voice, "I don't like storms..."

"It's ok," Y/N told him, stroking his hair gently. She was too tired to say much of anything else, but she tried her best. "I can imagine that it must be scary, all these new things in your life, but you have been really brave, and I'm proud of you."

Roan leaned into Y/N's touch and sighed, already feeling much safer from her presence alone. He snuggled closer to Y/N and got comfortable. No matter how scary something was, all of those bad feelings just disappeared whenever he was around Y/N. He wasn't sure what it was, but he knew that as long as Y/N was around everything would be ok.

The storm continued to rage outside. Roan would flinch whenever the grumbling thunder could be heard, but Y/N would stroke his hair and back to soothe him again. After a while, the sound of his faint snores could be heard.

Roan had fallen fast asleep with his arms wrapped tightly around Y/N. The H/C girl tried to move, but he stirred, and she quickly gave up on moving. Unable to take Roan back to the guest room without waking him, she decided that the best thing to do was to just let him stay where he was, given that the rumble of the gale could still be heard.

Grateful for the darkness hiding her flaming cheeks, Y/N tried to ignore the embarrassment she felt at the thought of sharing the bed with Roan. She wrapped her arms around Roan and did her best to get comfortable in their awkward position.

She closed her eyes and let the tranquility of the moment along with her fatigue wash over her. She could feel Roan's heartbeat and that made her feel safe and comforted. But more importantly, with the Selkie boy laying next to her, she felt like she was no longer alone.

The two teens fell asleep in the warmth of each other's arms, blissfully unaware of the storm roaring outside and the rain lashing the windows.

A/N

I can't believe that I had this chapter all written up and forgot to post in until now. That was almost very bad. I think I'm losing it a bit, but that's ok. As long as I get a chapter out daily.

Anyway, I hope that you all liked this chapter even though it did come out a bit late.

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~