15. Welcome to the Real World.

To Y/N's great relief when she arrived back home, she found a note on the kitchen counter from her mom saying that she and Y/N's dad had decided to take an impromptu trip to a local spa resort. They would be gone for the rest of the weekend and would be back early Monday morning. Y/N speculated that they had probably gone to marriage counseling or were sorting out the details of the divorce, but Y/N was more interested in the rest of what the note said. It made it clear that while they were gone Y/N wasn't allowed to spend the night at Starla's house, throw parties, or invite any boys over.

While Y/N would have normally followed all of her parent's rules happily, without them fighting there was no reason for her to want to spend the night at Starla's, and having a small social circle, Y/N had nobody to invite to a party, as if she would even want to throw one. The one exception to her parent's rules was Roan. With them gone over the weekend, her house would be the perfect place to base out of to look for Roan's sealskin. She couldn't forget that the clock was ticking and soon, Roan would be out of time.

Y/N went to bed and somehow she managed to fall asleep, even though her head was whirling with different ideas for how to get Roan's sealskin back. When she woke up the next day, she had a fully formed plan in her mind.

Step 1. Get Murphy or Mave to make a magical Selkieskin finder.

Step 2. Help Roan adjust to the real world while the finder is being made.

Step 3. Use the finished finder to look for the sealskin with Roan.

Step 4. Get Roan back into the sea with his sealskin before the next fullmoon.

Step 5. Go to college in the fall and pretend that none of this ever happened.

"Now that's what I call a perfect plan," Y/N said with a smile. She pushed herself out of bed and went down into the kitchen to have a lazy Sunday breakfast before she left to pay Murphy's a visit.

. . .

Y/N and Roan were sitting on a bench in one of the small parks in the city that was across from where Murphy's door had let them back out into the normal world that day. Y/N held Roan's hand as they sat there to ensure that he didn't wander off. Everything was so new and overwhelming to him that Y/N thought it best to stay seated in one place while Roan adjusted to all the new sights, sounds, and smells of the city.

Y/N let a small smile stretch her face as she recalled how excited Murphy had been when she told him her idea (Steps 1 through 4.) He said that he and Mave should be able to whip something together in the next few days and that until then Y/N would just need to keep Roan occupied enough that he wouldn't get underfoot.

It was not a difficult task considering that Roan practically velcroed himself to Y/N the moment he saw her. He had been so excited when Y/N told him they were going for a walk outside that he nearly cried.

"Y/N I'm hungry," Roan wined as he grew bored of watching the other park-goers get besieged by ducks. He pulled on the hem of Y/N's top to get her attention, "Do you have any fish-fish?"

Y/N giggled and ruffled Roan's hair. Even though he was completely fluent he would sometimes say a word twice if he was excited, or if he just liked the word. Y/N found it adorable. "I don't, but I know where we can get some."

Taking him by the hand, Y/N led the curious boy over to a small stand on the other side of the park that was sealing fish and chips. Y/N ordered them each some food, then they returned to the bench they were previously one to eat. Roan gobbled up the fish quickly but remained dubious of the chips. After she had finished her fish as well, Y/N finally managed to convince Roan to try one. Once he ate one, he discovered that he liked them so much that he ate the rest of Y/N's after he finished his own.

They left the park shortly after they finished eating and walked through the old parts of the city. Y/N made sure they took their time and Roan looked around at all of the magnificent buildings in wonder. Several times Roan nearly walked into oncoming traffic and it was also discovered that Maves potion did not cover written words and Roan was illiterate, but apart from those minor incidents, they had a great time.

The pair eventually found their way to the same ice cream parlor Y/N had been at before. Sitting down at one of the tables with a colorful sun umbrella, Y/N asked the waiter for a scoop of (favorite flavor) ice cream and a scoop of sea salt Carmel with sprinkles.

The waiter nodded and hurried away. As soon as he was gone, Roan emerged from the menu that he had been holding in front of his face like a shield. "You don't need to be frightened of him you know," Y/N said in a slightly teasing tone. "He is just getting ice cream for us."

"What's ice cream?" Roan asked, looking at Y/N with his dark eyes opened wide and his head tilted to the side.

Before Y/N had a chance to answer, the waiter had returned and set the two glass dishes on the table. Y/N dug into her ice cream at once, enjoying such a lovely treat one a summer day. She nearly got her ice cream up her nose when she saw that instead of eating the ice cream, Roan was picking the sprinkles off and eating them one at a time.

He eventually noticed that Y/N was eating the ice cream with a spoon and began to mimic her at once. He was so enthusiastic about doing what she was doing that he put too much ice cream in his mouth at once and got brain freeze.

Y/N laughed at the ridiculous faces he pulled at the cold feeling. After he recovered and was glaring daggers at the offending ice cream Y/N interrupted the 'staredown' as she asked, "so, have you enjoyed your first real day one land?"

"Oh yes! I've had so much fun with you today," Roan exclaimed happily, smiling at Y/N so broadly that his dimples became extremely apparent. "Today was the best day I've ever had!"

Y/N felt very pleased with Roan's positive response. After that Roan was eventually able to eat the rest of his ice cream and they chatted about nothing for a while.

"Well, it's getting pretty late," Y/N stated as she pushed her empty ice cream bowl away. The sun was setting over the city and it would soon be night. "I should probably take you back to Murphy's now.''

"Please no!" Roan cried, clutching onto Y/N's arm as she stood up from the table. "Please, not yet. I want to spend more time with you Y/N. Please?"

He looked up at her with the most convincing puppy-eyes she had ever seen. "Fine," Y/N sighed. "We can go to my house and watch a movie, but after that, you are going back to Murphy's, got it?"

A/N

Roan. Is. Best. Boy! Such a little cutie, I feel like my heart will burst.

Sometimes I worry that I am taking to long to get into the yandere action. Roan is certainly clingy, but he isn't a yandere exactly, (not yet anyway.) I would love to know your thoughts and,

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~