28. Search Cut Short pt2

Y/N finally returned home. It had taken her a long time to get back from Murphy's as she had much on her mind. Even so, it felt like it took no time at all before she was walking down her street. The sun had set and all was peaceful in suburbia, but Y/N knew that it was not likely to stay that way when she arrived home late for the second time in almost as many days.

She sighed, somehow, she had to figure out a way to not only get out of being grounded but she also had to convince her parents to pay a visit to her uncle's Marine Lab which they hadn't visited since she was eleven. Luckily it was the weekend so they wouldn't have to take off work, but it would still be a challenge.

By this point, Y/N had reached the front door of her house. Taking a deep breath, she pulled her shoulders back and straightened her spine. Once she was ready for war, she placed her hand on the door handle and opened it.

She was not surprised to see that both of her parents were waiting for her in the entrance hall. She had an idea, she wasn't sure it was crazy enough to work, but it was her best chance. "Do you have any idea how late it is young lady?" Y/N's mother asked but Y/N butted in before the older women could get lost on a tangent.

"Sorry mom, I know it's late, but I was just having such a good time with my new friends," Y/N said. "They're all applying to the same college as me you know. I wanted to come home earlier, but I also want to make sure that I have a friend group in college. Going to university is a chance to reinvent myself, and I don't want to be the same friendless girl I was in high school."

Y/N had to struggle to hide her smirk as she saw that her parents had taken the bait. Brief looks of pity flashed across their faces. They remembered what a miserable time high school had been for their daughter. Hopefully, they would be susceptible to her request now.

"My new friends were talking about how they took trips with their parents before they went off to college to cool places and... I didn't have anything I could contribute to the conversation," Y/N looked down at her feet, hoping to sell the melancholy act. "I can't remember the last time we went somewhere as a family, and I realized that I wanted to go somewhere cool with you before I leave for college... It doesn't need to be anything fancy, I just, want to spend some quality time with you both..." Y/N let her voice trail off.

"Well, pumpkin, a trip does sound nice, but I don't think that there are many places nearby that your generation finds hip." He glanced at his wife as he asked, "can you think of a place?"

"Well, Ethan said we're always welcome to visit the Marine Lab, Y/N's mother replied thoughtfully. " but I'm not sure you'd want to go there sweetie," she added, looking at Y/N. "It's not super cool after all."

"No, it's perfect!" Y/N cried, hurrying forward. She warped her arms around her parents in a tight hug. "I'm so happy that we're going somewhere to spend family time together!"

Yes, Y/N thought, feeling smug. Exactly what I wanted. Looks like I'm getting into the Whitford Marine Research Lab tomorrow.

. . .

Y/N actually had a pretty great time with her parents. They got to the Marine Lab in the late morning and after a brief chat with the security were let in to wander the place freely, (perks of being related to the founder and the current head.) Y/N only had a moment to look around the science lab before she and her parents were herded to the rescue part of the building.

There they got the chance to see the many animals that were being rehabilitated to go back into the wild. Shortly after they arrived Ethan came hurrying over to greet them, classic surfer smile plastered on his tan face. "Sis I didn't know you were coming. It's good to see you guys," He said giving them each a hug. "Follow me, I'll give you the director's tour."

Ethan did exactly that. He showed them all the rescued animals again, this time introducing them, using the names that he called all the animals. Y/N noticed that he was especially excited when he got to show them the Puffin he nicknamed Olly.

Once they finished perusing the rescue side of the lab Y/N's father suggested that they eat the packed lunch they brought, and her mother invited Ethan to join them.

The happy-go-lucky man agreed and led the way through the research part of the facilities, saying that they should eat up on the roof where the best view of the bay was. Y/N followed Ethan and her parents at a distance, close enough that they wouldn't think she wandered off, but far enough away that she could check on the sealskin-finder without seeming suspicious.

Y/N sneakily opened her purse and peered inside. The little black bottle rested at the top, clear to be seen. It had been vibrating slightly ever since Y/N had set foot on the Marine Lab's grounds, but it hadn't done anything else to indicate where the sealskin was. She was starting to think that James was right to think of it as defective junk. The thing was completely unreliable.

She let out a sigh. She had hoped that walking around with Ethan and her parents would be enough to get the finder to work, but it clearly hadn't. She needed a new way to look for it.

"Mom, Dad, I'm going to run to the bathroom, I'll be right back," Y/N called as they reached the stairs the led to the roof of the building where most of the staff had their lunch. "You can go on without me, I'll be up soon."

Y/N forced herself to keep her pace to a walk until she had rounded a corner in the sterile hallway that blocked her from the sight of her family. After that, she took off at a brisk trot, heading to the only place she had not been allowed to spend a lot of time; the science lab.

Luckily, it was the weekend so only the people who were working on personal research projects were in the lab area. Still, Y/N's heart was pounding painfully fast as she entered the restricted area.

With clammy, shaking hands, Y/N pulled the sealskin finder from her purse and held it in her open palms. She started to wander around the laboratory, keeping her eyes focused on the little vial for any signs of change.

She moved through several different sections, her anxiety increasing with every room she passed. Raising the bottle to her ear, Y/N jumped when she heard it begin to chirp like a cricket. She was close.

I knew Roan's sealskin was here somewhere, Y/N thought triumphantly as she looked around the place where she had stopped walking. She was nearly at the end of the research lab, and her heart sank in her chest when she realized that the private research rooms surrounding her all belonged to the most notable and important scientists at the Whitford Marine Research Lab.

"Y/N what are you doing here?" A voice called from the other end of the hall. Y/N was stuck to the spot. The sound of her uncle's cheery greeting caused her blood to freeze. Could it be possible that Ethan knew something about Roan's sealskin?

"What are you doing here Y/N?" Ethan repeated in a relaxed way as he came closer to her. "Did your mother put you up to this to try and discover what my secret project is?" He joked.

Y/N opened her mouth to reply, but before she could say anything the little bottle that she had quickly hidden started to chirp more furiously than Y/N had ever heard before.

"What's that noise?" Ethan asked, looking around before his eyes landed on Y/N curiously.

"I-It's my text notification," Y/N stammered nervously, hoping that he wouldn't question her any further.

"Neat sound. You must have someone who really wants to talk to you," Ethan said, giving Y/N a cheeky wink as he insinuated that she was in a relationship with someone. "Come on, let's go back and have lunch."

He gripped her hand in his and began to lead Y/N firmly back the way they had come. Y/N sighed, she had still failed to find the sealskin, but at least she knew that it was somewhere in the laboratory section of the Marine Institute. This visit had also greatly refreshed her memory of the layout of the building, meaning that with the help of the people at Murphy's she could successfully plan a break-in to get Roan's sealskin. Roan was going to live, no matter what, Y/N would be sure of that.

A/N

Looks like the plot is beginning to gather speed. How do you think it will all end?

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~