Chapter 40

Antonio turned thirty-four the day after Christmas and to celebrate, the four of us drove up to Duluth for an overnight trip. We had dinner at one of my favorite Italian restaurants along the shores of Lake Superior then visited the famous Bentleyville Tour of Lights at Canal Park.

Walking beneath the millions of dazzling lights hand-in-hand with the love of my life while the snow fell on us felt like an utter fairytale, a moment I'd never forget. And of course, when we were back in the warmth of our hotel room, we had lots of birthday sex, doing the song justice.

Two days before we had to fly home, Antonio and I went to visit my mom and Grandpa Mark's graves after having breakfast at Grandma Elizabeth's house. I wish I'd gotten to meet him, but sadly, he'd passed away before my mom and dad had even met.

We left flowers by both of their tombstones, and Antonio simply held me as I spoke to my mom, my heart heavy with grief.

"Hey, mom, it's me. I have great news for you. I'm married now, can you believe it? This is my husband, Antonio. He's the most handsome, intelligent, and loving man I know. I wish you two could have met. You'd love him."

A brief gust of wind broke off a twig from one of the nearby trees, and it gradually descended at Antonio's foot. We shared a meaningful look, his brown eyes shining with unshed tears.

"She really does hear everything, huh?", he spoke.

"Yup, she does," I replied with a sad smile.

"Though I can't tell if she approves of me or not," he said half-jokingly, glancing down at the twig by his foot as he gave it a light kick.

"Of course she does."

I gave his torso a squeeze then turned back to the tombstone.

"I almost forgot, mom. You're going to be a grandma! Nick and Alyssa are having twins. So much for his old fear of "turning soft," right? They send their love, by the way."

A breeze, more gentle than the previous one, ruffled the air.

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I clutched Antonio's arms, burying my head in his chest.

"I miss her so much," I whispered brokenly.

"I know. I can't imagine going through what you and Nick did," he said hoarsely, pressing his lips against my forehead.

"It was a living hell," I sobbed, remembering the sight of her lifeless body lying on the hospital bed, covered in tubes.

His body trembled as he held me tighter.

"Give me your pain, mia bella. Let me take it away," he breathed.

We stood there wrapped in each other's embrace beneath the gray sky, and I let him do just that.

***

It was the third Saturday in January, and Antonio and I were going on a morning run around our neighborhood. Two days ago, I'd received a call from Chase saying he was finally free to hang out. Yesterday had been the last day of filming for his new movie, and he'd flown home immediately after.

We were meeting up later today, and I didn't have to feel bad about leaving Antonio at home alone because he was having his own guys' night with his friends. What that consisted of, I was curious to know.

"So, what do you guys usually do during guys' night?", I asked when we rounded a corner.

"We watch sports. Drink. Play poker," Antonio replied matter-of-factly.

"Sounds exhilarating."

He laughed.

"My buddy, Nate, usually brings Cuban cigars as a treat during our poker games. And I provide the whiskey."