Chapter 16

"Alyssa and I are getting married," my brother announced with a wide smile at the dining table during Easter brunch. He turned to gaze at Alyssa lovingly, giving her hand a squeeze.

"Aww, it's about time," I gushed, clasping my hands together as I fought back tears of happiness.

I remembered when we were mere toddlers fighting over toys and those Friday nights spent cheering him on at his football games like it was only yesterday. Now, Nick was an engaged man. Time had sure flown by fast.

"Congratulations, you two," Dad said, his eyes gleaming with joy. We all raised our glasses in a toast. "To Nicholas and Alyssa."

Somewhere up there, I knew my mom was watching, and there was no doubt in my mind that Alyssa would be a wonderful wife to Nick. If only she were still here to meet her soon to be daughter-in-law...

Yesterday, Nick, Alyssa, and I had spent the day with Declan's family, and we took his kids to an egg hunt at the La Jolla Recreation Center. Even twenty-four year old me had had way too much fun with it.

Since the last time I saw Antonio, I hadn't been able to stop smiling. This past week, he'd started calling me more often, usually before bed, and we talked about everything and nothing. Of course, he always managed to taint our simple conversations with his dirty thoughts, but I never complained.

Ok, maybe a little. No woman wished to go to bed alone and horny.

Since it was Easter Sunday, all the shops were closed, so I spent the day at home reading and binge watching Netflix with my dad. That evening, we all went for a walk on the beach and saw the sun set. Nick and Dad had talked sports while Alyssa and I brainstormed ideas for her wedding.

So far, she and Nick were planning on getting married in December, but they were still deciding where in LA they wanted the reception held at. Luckily, it was still months away.

"Where would you want your future wedding to be?", Alyssa asked.

"Me? San Diego," I replied.

"Not LA?"

"San Diego is my birthplace. And I've always dreamt of getting married in Coronado Island. I saw so many beautiful weddings there growing up." I smiled.

"I bet. You have a boyfriend yet, Soph?" Her expression was playful.

"No, not yet...well, I mean, we see each other, but I don't think we're an actual couple yet."

"Friends with benefits?" She raised a brow.

"Maybe? I don't know. It's complicated. I like the guy, though. A lot."

Alyssa nodded in understanding, linking her arm through mine as we hurried to catch up to Nick and my dad.

"Let me know if it works out."

"I hope so."

When we got home, I packed all of my belongings back into my suitcase and while waiting for Alyssa and Nick to get ready, I sat on the front porch with my mom's blanket draped over my body.

Grabbing my phone out of my pocket, I decided to give Antonio a call. I let it ring for several times and was about to hang up when he finally answered.

"Helllooo?"

"Hey, it's me," I said.

"Why are you callin? I'm busy."

I frowned. Antonio was slurring his words like a complete drunk.

"I just wanted to say Happy Easter...Have you been drinking?"