Chapter 20

"D-did she...get hurt?", I managed to utter after what felt like an eternity.

"She had a concussion," Antonio replied in a grave tone. His face was buried in his hands as he threaded his fingers through his hair in anguish.

Needing to touch him, comfort him, I reached for his arm, but he withdrew it from me.

"Don't touch me," he snapped.

"Antonio, look at me," I implored.

"I don't fucking deserve you. Why the hell did I even come here?"

"You tell me," I countered.

He stared down at his lap, avoiding my gaze. Moments passed in silence when he finally spoke.

"I came...because I need you."

I reached for his face, and this time, he didn't recoil.

"And I need, you, Antonio," I whispered fiercely.

He stared at me through his tear-stained eyes as I caressed his cheek, desperately wanting to absorb his pain.

"She didn't even press charges against me, can you believe that?", he croaked.

"It's unfortunate you two just happened to be fighting by the stairs," I said meaningfully.

"She said that as long as we broke off our engagement, she wouldn't press charges. She also didn't want to jeopardize my career."

"How thoughtful of her." My voice was laced with sarcasm.

He gave a humorless laugh.

"I know, right? For once, she finally acknowledged all I had to give up to be with her. When I completed my doctoral degree at Stanford, the chemistry department offered me a high paying job. I was ecstatic--working at Stanford meant that I'd still get to be near my family.

"But Veronica already had a steady job herself down in SoCal and didn't want to relocate. So I did. I never thought twice about anything she asked of me. I was so blinded by my love for her, I never saw the selfish, cunning bitch she'd turned into."

He leaned back against the sofa, rubbing his face wearily, and I rested my hand on his thigh.

"Antonio, I'm so sorry," I said quietly, my heart aching for him.

"You have nothing to apologize for, mia bella." He placed his hand on top of mine, our fingers interlacing.

"Did your family know? About how Veronica fell down the stairs?"

"Yes. My brother called me a selfish son of a bitch and cut off all communication with me. Which was easy to do since his job relocated him to Boston anyway."

A look of remorse crossed over his features as he stared down at his lap. His next words were spoken so quietly, I had to strain my ears to hear them.

"Carlo said I was physically violent...just like our father."

Grabbing his face between my hands, my eyes bored into his, and the words I uttered were out of pure, raw honesty.

"You. Are. Not. Your. Father."

His forehead rested against mine as he closed his eyes, shaking his head back and forth.

"If I was able to hurt Veronica like that, God knows what else I'm capable of."

"Antonio, stop—"

"But I swear to God, Sophia, I will never do anything to hurt you." His voice was thick with emotion.

"I know." I smiled through the tears that were beginning to well up in my eyes.