Jealousy

Reaching the last manuscript, I notice that Mo Yuan has gone to great lengths to detail what he must have seen as important at the time.  And though I want to continue reading, I do put the book down, because Ye Hua is trying to pull me off the deck chair by my feet having readied himself for a fun time at the market.   It will be our last outing before we turn the ship around and head back, so the excitement is high for him and for Mi Gu.

He doesn't have a lot of needs, but Mi Gu does love the festive atmosphere and gaiety that every marketplace has, no matter where we are.  But having made a little money for himself, he is eager to spend it which I find amusing.  The man, as I said, has no needs, so I am very interested in knowing what exactly he plans to spend it on.  Whereas Ye Hua is very easy.  He loves candy, toys and new robes, so not only will we be on land for at least a couple of hours, but I am going to leave Mo Yuan behind.

He is still sleeping off the night before, so allowing our son to pull my feet off the deck chair, I am up and we are on the move.  The captain has informed me that he too will be attending the market seeing as he has not had a break the entire two weeks we have been at sea, so as one group, we take a giggling gurgling baby and head for sore while Chang Shan remains behind should Mo Yuan need him.

Yet despite the fun we are having and the happy bubbly sounds surrounding us, I cannot help but dwell on what I have read so far.  There is much for me to think about and one of those things is Mo Yuans choice to die that day.  He knew well before his final battle that he would be dying and not only that, but he was going to use Liwei to accomplish it.

I know I should be angry with him, after all, Liwei was just as much a child as I was.  But when I look at it as a woman who has experienced so much in the past seventy thousand years, I actually find a greater understanding for what he did along with how much strategy he had put into it.  The way he manipulated everyone and everything around him just to gain me in the end,  only highlights the truly remarkable mind behind the man.

Not only did he allow that Overlord to manipulate his body so that Liwei could take him out but he also did it in order place Liwei in the Overlords position.  His people may have deemed him a hero for killing the War God, but he was weak regardless, so easily manipulated by the Celestials.  This meant there would be no more uprisings or wars between them, and the road to trade opened.  But even more astounding is what Mo Yuan did not mention.  In fact, he didn't have to. 

I already know why he chose to die by Liweis hand.  He did not want me and that boy reigniting our friendship when he died, because he knew Liwei would be in a powerful enough position to claim me, and therefore come after me regardless of his fathers sins.  He also knew that Bai Zhi would never lay blame on Liwei directly even if he did resent the demons, because no child is guilty of their fathers sins.

And there it is.  Mo Yuan not only ended his life in order to sever the disciple and shifu bond, but he also ensured there would be no union between Qing Qiu and the Demons when he left, because he knew full well I would hate lIwei forever.  Only I don't hate him.  And nor do I think I would have gone back to him had he not killed Mo Yuan, because I was never in love with him anyway.  

"Mama..... candy!" Ye Hua suddenly squeals at the candy blown dragons lined up on a small trestle table which he is already reaching for.

"That is a good choice little master." the vendor says chuckling at the chubby little hand that has already removed it from its holder while the captain quickly flips the man a coin before he can snatch it back.  

"Ye Hua.  You must show good manners." I say gently removing it from his mouth and forcing his head down to bow.

"It is alright miss." he replies smiling down at Ye Hua while furtively eyeballing me which soon has Mi Gu quickly jumping in between us with a bright smile on his face but a glint of warning in his eye which has the man quickly lowering his gaze.