Trial of the Spirit - 2

His eyes flickered against the harsh sun spilling in through the open window and though the hearth was lit, it and the sun offered no warmth against the winter chill spilling through the window and sweeping across his bare flesh.  He vaguely remembered snippets of a womans voice, her rough hands forcing him onto his side and the hot water being pressed against his open wounds, but he did feel safe.  At least safe enough until he was found, because he knew that once it was known he was missing from the battlefield, they would come looking for him.

Mo Yuan also wondered who this woman was.  He could barely recall her face much less her features, and he didn't think he recognized her voice, but still, he wasn't entirely sure just how much of a friend she was, or if she knew who it was she was helping much less how he was going to escape back to the Palace.

He was the son of the Emperor and having joined the Imperial army under disguise as a mere foot soldier in order to get his first taste of a real war, he had not counted on being near slaughtered to death.  Only his personal assistant knew what he had done because his father would have absolutely forbidden it and no doubt they would have been informed by now, so he knew for a fact, a concerted effort would be made to find him.  They would start with the battlefield first before moving out into the surrounding area to track him down, and seeing as she had to live close, he didn't think it would be too long before he was found.

Only that wasn't the only thing on his mind.  This woman was perhaps the enemy and was holding him captive until her superiors or whoever she answered to, came for him.  It didn't take a genius to know what his life was worth in the enemys hands.  He would not only be tortured and beaten but he would more than likely be used for ransom and not only would his father be humiliated before the world, but these beggars would more than likely murder him in the end anyway.

Now glancing about the room he was in, he was surprised by how lovely it was.  The furniture was actually hand crafted teak, books lined one wall, the lace curtains hung over the windows which was a rare sight to see outside of the Palace walls and the rug he was on was thick and white so possibly a snow lion or similar so not a poor womans house by any means.  If anything, the woman was well to do, and possibly married so therefore the wife of an offical going by the political books on the shelves.  Only he saw nothing to suggest children, so either an elder couple who were now living on their hard earned money or a younger couple who were yet to be blessed with a family.

Only the moment his eyes lowered to himself with the thought of rising to dress himself and make a quick retreat, then his bound legs came into view along with his near nakedness.  Stripped down to his pantaloons, the crisscrossing of bandages around both arms and across his chest and abdomen gave away the severity of his wounds, only his legs gave him instant cause for concern.  Not only were they both bound to two planks of wood, but they were tightly bound together which made standing impossible.

Being a realist, Mo Yuans mind frantically came to two conclusions.  Either the woman and perhaps her husband were kindly saviours who had taken it upon themselves to help a poor injured soldier, or he was a prisoner and being the only son of the Emperor, this meant only one thing.  He needed to talk to them, ascertain who they were, what their agenda was and how to get out of there.

"Ma'am......" he called out with a voice that was surprisingly strong considering his injuries were not light.

"Quit your hollering, you'll wake him up!"  her shrill voice slammed into his ears and forcing his head down in submission while also realizing she was not alone, so therefore verifying his assumption that she was married and there was a man in the house.  

"Ma'am.....  please, I need to leave." he replied a little less loudly while adamant that he was not going to stay another night.

"Feel free to leave on your broken legs soldier, I ain't stoppin ya...." she hollered back as the sound of a door was quietly shut somewhere close and her footsteps quickly scurried across the floor behind him.