43. red drop of blood

After waiting in silence for another thirty minutes in total darkness except for the light from the torch Riaan was holding, they heard a car pull up. But it was only Dash, he was carrying a huge bag on his back. He ran towards them, leaping when there was a boulder.

Riaan sent the torch's light towards Dash's direction to guide him in the dark. Near her, Jayden was looking at Dash with an irritated look after he got a glimpse at what he was carrying on his shoulder. "Oh my God. He did not just bring that!"

On his shoulder were many plastic bunches of leaves used in drama and plays. It was big enough to hide one person.

"Brother we are not doing a Macbeth play here." Kenya scowled as Dash forced one branch upon her lap. He distributed one to all others.

"I brought it for camouflage, you should be taking me. Now hide your self."

Jayden alone had refused it saying as it was dark already they did not need special props, he had also added that Dash was a fool for doing this. "Okay let's split. Two of us can wait on the opposite side so that we can catch her if she tried to run."

Riaan got up offering to go that side very eagerly, the real reason was apparent to Aviana.

"Okay, we both will wait on the other side. Let's stay connected on a conference call." Dash and Riaan moved to the opposite side. In between them was the spot the diary had been initially buried in. They had dug it up again and kept the diary in. Later had covered the spot with leaves and twigs so that it would not look like recently dug. Since it was night, Mikilene would not be able to tell that it had been dug newly.

Now they all waited with total stillness, their cell phones connected in a conference call. Well, everyone's except for Aviana's since she didn't have a phone anymore. The one she used had been broken by Riaan. Now she had given Dash's number in the hospital, in case they needed her there for Mrs. Chase.

Aviana was sitting in the middle, on one side was Jayden and on the other side was Kenya. All three had crammed into a single bark space. Kenya was looking at Aviana now and then like she wanted to say something. "Aviana, I am sorry about the solo travel thing. I was totally blind with..."

"Love? It's okay I understand. I am angry but I understand why you did it."

Jayden was trying to not listen to this ongoing conversation. Kenya held her head up with pride and said, "I still don't like you though."

"Don't worry, the feeling is mutual."

They did not talk after that. The winds were blowing against them, exposing all their foreheads through the tree branches threatening to break them. They waited and waited for Mikilene to show up.

At last by twelve at midnight a car arrived, it's headlights bright and glaring. The car parked on the road; Mikilene would not suspect their presence because all their cars have been parked some distance away. It had been Kenya's idea actually, she had reasoned about what Mikilene would think if she saw three cars parked on a deserted road at midnight.

The engine got switched off as thunders exploded across the sky. Aviana could feel Kenya mirroring her own flinch at the eardrum breaking sound.

"Alert! She is here." Dash's voice came through the phone Kenya was holding to her ears.

The footsteps were heard in the distance as Aviana's heart picked up its momentum. As the footsteps continued with it roared the sky, deafening all their ears. The lighting was striking in flashes, like an electric current discharge. With a brutal roar, the sky started pouring down the water.

Aviana's hair got wet, the loose strands sticking to her forehead as the water drops ran down her cheek to her neck passing over her lips.

As Mikilene took each step the sky cried further as if it did not want her coming here. The footsteps came closer slowly. Aviana, Kenya, and Jayden inched closer to each other trying to hide behind the bark.

Finally, Mikilene came into view as another lightning struck. She was walking down the trail wearing a red-colored raincoat with hood. The hood had covered up her face, not even revealing a tiny bit. Aviana bent down to get a look at her face, but it was difficult considering the only illumination was the lightning.

With each lightning, Mikilene got closer. She was like a red drop of blood against the dark background.

But if everything went as planned it wouldn't be Aviana's life. The rain and being soaked caused Aviana to sneeze unexpectedly; she did not have enough time to cover up her mouth as both her hands were holding the plastic leaf branch up. No!

The time slowed as another lightning struck.
______________________________________

🤗Thank you for reading, please don't forget to click the star button, it's equivalent to likes on youtube and could be useful for me🤗