Chapter 21.

I shouldn't be this affected by Colten's cold shoulder earlier, but I am

I shouldn't be this affected by Colten's cold shoulder earlier, but I am. It shows just how much by the fact that I can't keep my eyes off of him all practice.

I know he probably noticed, but he not once looked my way. It hurt.
I was hoping I'd be able to get some information while walking to Jackson's truck, but he ran off before they got off the field.

"I'll check online for show times," Brittni tells me when we situate in the car. I nod, even though I am no longer as excited to go to the movies with her. Not with Colten's ignorance.

We drop Brittni off at her house so she can shower and what not then start heading home.

"Hey Nikki?" Jackson calls after me right as I out one foot on the step.

"Yeah?" I turn slightly, to show him I'm paying attention.

"I want you to know," he clears his throat. "That I'm happy you forgave us. It means a lot."

I nod. "No problem."

He won't be saying that when he finds out I'm in love with his best friend.

•••

"I think it was good," Brittni argues, countering my complaint on the cheesy romance.

"It was good," I look at her with a raised eyebrow. "But it was very cliche, I knew the outcome before it even happened."

"You knew she wasn't actually going to die?" She questions and when she sees the look I give her, she rolls her eyes.

"Yes, I knew," I smile.

The movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It got my mind off of Colten for a little over an hour, though, that'll probably change once I get home. I know he'll be there.

"Do you mind if Jackson comes to my house tonight?" Brittni asks somewhat nervously.

"I don't see why it'd matter," I explain to her.

"I just don't like leaving you at home by yourself-"

"I'll be fine," I wave her off. "I swear."

"You sure?" She bites at her lip.

"Yeah, I'll be fine, I swear it." This seems to put her at ease with the large breathe she releases and the smile.

The car ride back to my place is spent with laughter at old memories and stories. It's nice to finally have some best friend time with Brittni when she's always been with Jackson. I guess I can't really complain, I've been with Colten for the last couple days.