Chapter 2.

I couldn't speak

I couldn't speak. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think. I couldn't do anything because that voice is all too familiar. I never thought I'd have to hear it again, yet here it is on the first day of sophomore year.

"Listen," he sighs when I don't answer. "I understand that you're pissed - I totally get it -"

"Stop," I shake my head, trying to keep him from changing my mind. Over the summer after he left, I made a vow to never, ever let him walk all over me again. That includes now. "I don't want your apologies."

"Nikki," he steps closer, making me take a step back. "I can't even explain how sorry I am for leaving you the day after - you know - but I have a perfect explanation for you."

No. No. No. Oh and did I mention no?

"I don't think you realize how much you hurt me when you left after taking the one thing from me that I kept safe," I sneer. "You don't get to come back and tell me your sorry after two months. Where were you a month ago? A week ago even?"

He sighs, closing his eyes. "It's not even like that."

"No," I shake my head with a bitter smile. "You're not who I thought you were. That's the only thing that wasn't like it was made out to."

The bell rings after my sentence, causing me to look at him scornfully.

"Don't come near me again. I don't need anymore of your bullshit." With that, I find my seat on the overhead and go sit there. I don't know anyone in my class besides Adam, but I wish I didn't.

I know you're probably wondering why I just basically pushed someone away that was trying to apologize, but I promise, once you hear it, you'll understand.

"Wow," he breathed out, his chest falling up and down next to me. "That was amazing."

I don't say anything, because I didn't enjoy it. I thought sex was supposed to be special, it was called making love after all. I felt void, though, the pain was all there, but Adam wasn't. He was off in his pleasure, not worrying much about the amount of discomfort I was in.

He didn't kiss me and tell me it would feel better soon, like all the movies. He didn't say he loved me, that he always would, like the books. It was just...emotionless.

The only thing that I can think of that was for my benefit is him going slow. He asked if it hurt at first, but after that he was just spouting how good I felt, and I was staring at the ceiling with eyes full of tears while holding on to him. He didn't care, though.