Chapter 17

-Tala-

As the wind has shifted, the weeks show a renewed spirit. The village had celebrated the challenge that was gifted upon us and the death that Cusa deserves. Now we celebrated the early new arrival of Ehecatl. Birth means continued history to be passed down to the next generation and Ehecatl was born in a spiritual storm. When I walked in and saw my Luna laying there holding this tiny human my head and heart raced each other. She was never more beautiful than that moment. She gives my life a dream it longed for. Both sides of my life. The sane man and the wild wolf she gives a home. 

Today could match that. We planned to be married today. We spent last night apart and today I am sitting at home alone. Sitting in our back sunroom overlooking the pond. You can always find Aiyana either in the valley treasuring mother earth in all her glory or she sits in this sunroom and watches mother nature give her the most beautiful picture. Ehecatl has a small bassinet in the corner and each day has a gentle light that watches over him while Aiyana naps or reads. I've stood in the doorway many days watching how comfortable she is here. After all this time, I still catch my breath that this woman chose me and here. 

My brother warriors are around the house talking and we are all getting ready. They are laughing and joking around about training sessions. Trading memories for drinks and laughs for the moments of joyous occasions.  

As I look out our window and into the trees, taking a moment to watch how the tree's sway. She was my first friend when my family came to this tribe. My parents were looking for a new home when our old tribe wanted to relocate to a completely different state. They wanted to stay true and local to our area. The Chiefs were great friends and they recommended us to come here. When I first saw her I admit I didn't even want to talk to her. She intimidated me with her eyes and her smile. She was warm and welcoming. When she looked at me it was as if the world gained more light. 

I remember how Aiyana and would run through the woods and along the creeks and streams of the land. I remember how scared I was the first time she fell and scraped her knees. She didn't cry even if she wanted to. It was at that moment I wanted to protect her. Every day from then on I would wait outside her home.  She would come out smiling and then take off running. I loved her as a child, without question, I was born to love this woman.  I remember when I surprised her with a single dandelion.  I held mine up and closed my eyes blowing the white petals off. Making my wish and opening my eyes to meet hers we watched the white petals float through the air. When she finally turned to me I smiled at her, "Your turn, make a wish,". She closed her eyes tight, scrunched her nose, and blew as hard as she could. When she opened her eyes we watched the petals float with mine all around. She got up and dancing and trying to catch the tiny spectacles in her hands. Was a magical moment of hope between two kids. 

Memories have a way of coming back and bringing feelings that you never knew existed until that moment. For several years it was her and I against the world. I held her hand to cross the streams and didn't get mad when she pushed me in. Chasing her down to carry her with me and we jumped into the stream together. Her light scream as we fell into the cold water gave my heart a hefty beat. When she would hold onto me, took everything to resist pulling her closer. She's the chief's daughter and deserves more respect. With her she let me be free.  I remember how carefree her laugh was then. It was beautiful then but nothing compared to her laugh today. 

When we became teenagers and my parents sat me down, explaining how I need to stay away I first fought them with everything I could. She never knew and couldn't know. I could never understand how they could keep me from this beautiful spirit. I tried to sneak out of the house but my father caught me every time. I was basically held until I agreed to let her go. "Leave her so she can become the greatest part of history this tribe has ever seen." they would say. It broke me when I had to walk away when she walked over, turn my back, and walk home. My days would be broken up between hiding in my room and waiting in the woods watching her walk through the village. Climbing the trees to sit and wait for her in the mornings while she sits in the valley and welcomed the sun. I forgave my parents for their decision but I never forgot the heartbreak they created for me and for her.  When I was old enough I moved out with a friend and over the years built the home I am in now. That we are in now.  The chief tried to set me up with different women of different tribes. He would bring them for a visit or arrange for me to meet them at theirs and each time I'd refuse with in the first 15 minutes. Eventually, he gave up and left me be. I focused on training to become a warrior and tracker in this tribe. When my parents passed away I was met with such conflict. Numbness and anger that they took away something so great from me mixed with an understanding of what we believe in, tribe first.