Chapter 2

-Tala-

I watch her quickly leave the meeting hall. Too quickly.

As the warriors are eating and talking, I slip out of the meeting hall unnoticed. Watching her walk towards her house she stops and changes her direction. She is heading to the flower garden. Her favorite place.

All these years, I know everything about her. Except for the way her skin feels. The way her lips taste. The way her hair smells.

I enter from a different side gate and sit back watching her walk around until she gets to her favorite place and lays on the ground. I watch Citlali sit next to her and I can hear their conversation. It tears me up inside.

I hear the words but more so I hear the tone. She says the words but she doesn't mean them. She is doing this for the tribe. Best for the tribe. I believe that comment but I can't allow myself to believe that she wants this. Everyone can see the uncomfortable light in her face. Emptiness pulls at her core. We are all trying to be encouraging and supportive. Let's be honest though, this was put in place a long time ago. The day she was born.

I watch them walk away and I follow her home to make sure she is safe. As soon as the light is on in her room I walk back to my house. I lay in my bare home and reflect on how empty I feel on the inside as well.

As the next morning arises I wake up early and head to her house just in time to see her leave. Just before sunrise, she walks along the border to the valley. This day she cuts into the valley and in the middle of the field, she sits. Facing east awaiting the sunrise.

I watch the wind blow, pushing her long hair around. What will I do when she leaves. She is the picture to my eyes and someone else will be claiming her.

This is where my family is, where I grew up. I can't imagine leaving but here she is, willing to leave to fulfill some insane promise that her parents and the elders made.

As we watch the sun come up, she finally stands and heads back to her house for breakfast. Just like every morning before. Her dad welcomes her and they head inside. I force myself to leave and head to the training grounds. When I arrive I see my brothers warming up.

"Brother," Kota and Kohana say.

I nod my head at them.

"What happens when she leaves? What will your morning consist of?" Kota says.

I stare down at them, "Nothing will change. I will take this same walk even when she is miles away,"

"You should tell her before they arrive. Before they take her away," Kohana says.

"No, neither will any of you. You must have forgotten that I am the best warrior and tracker in this tribe. I will make sure no one finds you," I say.

"Understood, I am just saying. Two days." Kota says.

I nod in agreement, "Two days,"

Painful days, two painful days.

We spend the next few days between training and setting up for the arrival of the members of the Tsuna Tribe. I am only going with the motions of everything. The emotional pain is holding me back from being completely on board. Everyone is walking around celebrating. Drums at night, chanting and celebrating the prophecy. As usual, I sit in the background awaiting my execution day. Her leaving to be wed to someone else.

-Aiyana-

The day is here. Today we welcome the members of my new awaiting tribe. Everyone is celebrating this momentous occasion, everyone except Tala.