Chapter 3

-Herrick-

This is the last place I want to be. This is the last person I want to be around.

She looks as miserable as I feel.

I've been trying to find a way out of this situation but with our tribes, it's not always a good path. Elders are the ones who envisioned this. Prophecy and all. They have never given specifics as to what it exactly is, just that she is a big part of it. The arrangement was made long before she and I were even born. I am doing my best and putting on a show and looking at Aiyana who I can appreciate is not one to fake anything. Miserable is shown across her face.

This marriage has to happen in order for me to take my place. The future of my tribe is at stake.

My warriors sit on my side and we watch their dancers and drummers. Traditional tribal stuff is amazing no matter what tribe. But I feel like a fraud sitting here, not wanting to marry this person. The person who truly catches my eye, I can't be with and they know. It pains both to know that we can never be more.

I sit and watch Aiyana. It's her eyes that give her away. Boldly blue yet void of life. She looks at Tala with a blank stare as if she is trying to find or fight the emotions to go along with feelings. I decide to establish things now. Better to get it down in the open so that way expectations are on the table.

"Good evening,"

"Good evening," She responds.

"Do you hate this as much as I do?" I tell her. She turns her bright blue eyes to mine with confusion and panic.

"I... um..." she tries.

"I do not wish this either," I state.

"But this is a must,"

"It is," I start. But I will not try to make this awful for us. I am a stern man when it comes to my tribe. This tedious situation is something we can get through even though it is clear that neither of us wants it. I do not love you and I will never love you."

"Is that what you say to all the women?" She says trying to be funny.

"Yes," I cut back. I can not joke about this situation as much as I want to.

"Any reason? Is there another who catches your eye?" Aiyana asks.

At this moment I realize that she is alone in this as much as I am. We will need to be friends in order for this alliance to take place.

"Yes, just as there is one who catches yours. I've seen you look over at your top warrior. I'd like to think you love him, but I am thinking more like castrating him." I say.

She has a small smile before it falls. "He turned his back on me as a teen. As kids, we were best friends then one day he wasn't."

I can nod my head and I can actually understand where the big man is coming from versus her. The decisions we have to make weigh heavy on our souls. Having to cut someone out of your life to better the tribe is not an easy decision. Especially when you are the head of that tribe.

"Tribe first," I say.

She nods her head, "Tribe first.

"I hope that we can be friends. I am sorry we can not be more," I say.

"I would really like a friend," she says smiling sweetly.

"Outside of our home we will be a strong unified pair, but behind closed doors." I start.

"Is no one else's business," She finishes.

I nod my head and feel a wave of relief. She and I understand each other.