Chapter 1

-Tala-

Give me strength when I can not see my weakness

I sit in the back, away from everyone. I watch her from afar. I have always watched her. Daughter of the Chief. The most prized possession of our Tribe.

She is a rare find, eyes blue as the sky, hair dark as night. The tribe has always spoken of the sky blue gift that would bring peace. Then she was born. From that day she was valued and treasured. I never understood why, until now.

As kids, Aiyana was my best friend. We spent every day together running the grounds, playing games, causing our parents to go crazy. It was the best childhood. Just before we became teenagers, my parents sat me down and told me I had to stay away. She was to be promised as a future bride to another tribe as an act of peace between the tribes.

It killed me. Every day she would ask for a walk, to play a game, to see me. Every day I had to tell her no and turn my back. My best friend. Her best friend. Gone.

She would come to my house every day to see me and each time my parents had to tell her I couldn't see her. I remember the day she stopped coming by. It felt like an arrow in my heart. Slowly every day I felt death become me. I wanted nothing in life but my best friend. When I would see her at the tribe council meetings or gatherings, she refused to meet anyone's eye, especially mine.

But, I always watched her. For years. She became my silent heartbeat. Every day she woke up and walked the outskirts of the grounds... I saw her.

I am the best tracker and warrior in the tribe. I had to occupy my time because she occupied my mind.

We are sitting at the tribal dinner. A big announcement is underway and I know what it is about. It involves... Her.

Everyone is eating and waiting for our Chief to talk, I watch her pick at her plate and my heart is slowly being torn to pieces.

"Tala, you good brother?" Kota asks. He is my closest friend and even when I don't say anything, he knows what is going on.

"Fine," I respond.

"You are watching, again," Kota says.

I quickly look around and no one seems to notice, but Kota.

"What is the plan?" Kota asks.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Will you ever talk to her again?" Kota continues.

"I was forbidden, the tribe comes first. You know this," I say angrily.

"Tribe comes first," He repeats.

"She is the Chief's daughter. Well off and promised to the next Chief of the Tsuna Tribe," I explain.

"Does she know?" Kota pushes.

"I don't know..." I say.

He shakes his head at me but he understands.

"What are we celebrating?" Kota asks. "Things have gossiped about the warriors, the only thing the Tsuna Tribe is visiting.

"I think we all know what this is about," I say with venom.

I can only grip my own hands. The thought of her leaving, marrying someone else is painful.

I have denied every female that was arranged, If I can't be with my best friend, I don't want to be with anyone else. I have been hoping this day would never come, the other tribe would pull out of the agreement. Looks like I will be wrong...