17. Goodbye

○○○○○○○○○○○○●○○○○○○○○○○○○
° CHAPTER 20: Goodbye °
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

It's never the right time.
It will never be easy.
Saying goodbye, that is.
~mirthykayla

Having gathered everyone, Caroline began explaining her doubts and thanking Michael's mother for the clarity.

"It's really okay, Caroline." Her mother in law said. She saw her as soon as she walked through the door, thanking the universe for letting them see her in a good condition compared to the body laying on the bed with tubes sticking in her skin and into her mouth.

This was it, Hazel thought after hearing what her grandmother had to say about her condition.

Tony did not seem angry or sad. Matthew was still sad about the whole thing but he understood that life needs to go on. After hearing that Hazel was indeed here because of the love they shared, he felt more content, more calm and ready to let her go.

All this while, their hands were intertwined. Tomorrow was the day they switch off the machines and he swore to hold her until he couldn't anymore.

Caroline prepared supper with the help of Michael.

"Do you think we are ready for this?" She asked her ex husband.

Michael sighed and held her hand, "I don't know. We were not ready to lose her the first time and I don't think we will ever be ready to lose her."

"She's our daughter, Michael. Our first child, first blessing." Her eyes darted to the living room, where Hazel was cuddled in Matthew's arms.

"I know, I know." Michael kissed Carol's forehead and stayed there a little longer with his eyes closed. Why did he fuck up their relationship? He must have been really stupid to let lust rule his life.

Tony was happy to see his grandmother and was sitting and chatting with her the whole time.

Martha, known as grandma, had too many stories to tell from her childhood and that of her late husband. How they met and how he proposed marriage. She went on and on but Tony seemed all the more intrigued by each story. He probed her with questions and laughed at all her silly grandma jokes.

At 18 years old, Martha expected Tony to ignore them all and use his electronic devices to make the pain go away. But he didn't. He made Matthew and Hazel listen too to the stories.

Martha knew the look on Matthew's face. She knew those sad eyes very well. She is still not in terms with the passing of her husband and Matthew was having it bad. Hazel was within his grasp, and yet she was still too far away.

"I'll never forget this scent." Matthew whispered to Hazel, taking her attention away from Tony who was talking about some clumsy girl in gym class.

Martha concluded that Tony likes the girl and Hazel did not miss the blush on his face even though she didn't hear what he had to say for himself as Matthew disturbed her.

"I'll never forget yours either, my love." She smiled ever so sweetly as Matthew kissed her forehead.

"Do you think you're going to miss us as we will miss you?" He asked.

"Hmm, yes. I believe there's no way of forgetting such beautiful people. I believe that wherever I'm going, hell or heaven..."

"Don't say that. You're going to heaven. You're an angel after all." His lips never left her forehead.

"Right," Hazel blushed, "In heaven, I will be missing you and telling all the people there about all of you. Especially you, Matthew. I will miss you so dearly."
She felt her nose get hot just by thinking about the promises she made of the life they would have after that last job.

"Hmm, I like the sound of that. Ask God if there's no way of visiting." Matthew tried to make a small joke, but Hazel was much too humourless at the time.

"I will. There must be a way." She whispered.

They did not notice Martha and Tony stop talking to watch them before resuming to talk about the girl who wore glasses in gym class.

________________________
What does heaven look like?
______________________