Chapter 20

I'm in a prison cell surrounded by cold grey walls. 

I'm in a cave filled with water that's filling up quickly, depriving me, torturing me, depleting me of oxygen. 

I'm in the compound of Distict 13, miles underground and no matter how much I cry, no matter how much I shout, no matter how much I suffer, no one hears a thing. I feel like a prisoner, my compound is my jail. I feel like I'm in a cave, hidden from the world where nothing pretty can penetrate through the stone. I feel like I'm drowing in a sea of hopelessness. 

I take one last sweep of the dorm- a plain shirt that used to me mine is neatly arranged on my folded bedsheets, my drawers now sit empty, ready for the next citizen to take my place. It's early in the morning, the sky is probably still an inky black, I think the stars are still visible and in my mind, a lighter hue of blue is appearing along the horizon. Volta sleeps on, occasionally tossing and turning in her bunk. Lying on top of her drawer is a note from me. 

My few possessions are tucked in a tiny bag provided for my by the District. I can't see clearly through the dim light but inside are my books, my notes and training materials. 

I grab my torch and quietly close the door me behind. Will I ever go in there again? Another question rises but I push it down before the tears well in my eyes. 

The metal structues of the compund rises high into the air above me and I realise how small we all are.

I make my way to the Command room and grab my training notes and books and tuck it inside my bag. Deep down in Special Defence, I change into my designated uniform and pick up the reliable equipment laid out for me. Using the fancy high tech notepad outside the door, I type out a short confirmation message with shaking fingers for the President and the other leaders.  

Its time. 

I bite my lip and inhale and exhale and inhale and exhale and I do it over and over again. I can't think about my nerves right now. I can't think about the fear I feel. I push all the guilt and sickness away, out of my mind. I can't think about what's waiting ahead of me. I can only think about the present. 

The cold forest air hits me like a breath of a new life. The twigs snap and the leaves crunch on the forest floor as I make my way to area where I'm instructed to wait- the Point

Branches get caught and snag my uniform- there are no clear paths here and I trip on the uneven ground several times. 

The Point comes into my view, after I walk for a few hours. By this time, the sun is well over the horizon and filtered green light illuminates the forest. My mouth is parched and a low growl escapes my stomach but all I can do is wait. I'll recieve everything soon. 

I perch on a fallen-down tree and pull out my notes detailing my plan, for something to disract myself . As I do so, a letter addressed to me and a wooden box tumbles out of my bag. 

The letter is from Edel, I recognise his handwriting and inside the box sits a bracelet enclosing a constellation of sapphires twinling in the sunlight. 

Thank you so much for all the reads, you guys are amazing. Don't forget to vote too! 

I can't believe its almost been a year since I started writing this! Where has time gone? 

I wonder what I'll be doing next year and I'm so excited to see what the rest of this year brings and next year brings. 

What is something you are looking forward to?