Chapter 16

The effects of starvation and malnutrition have been long-lasting.

Today marks the start of going back to our schedules since the hunger started. Schools and other forms of education went on as normal, same with jobs that don't require too much exertion. For many, it means starting military training again.

Soldier Taliss has put all army members in Special Defence to get us ahead of written and tactical military work when we were unable to undergo physical training. With all focus on written work, everyone has progressed. Exceeded expectations. The military unit has really branched out- there are now more weapons we intend to practice on, lectures on tactics and more students to design weapons too.  Our theory knowledge will never fail to gain top marks. I wish the same could be said for our physical abilities.

The smell of spring is in the air. The white blanket of snow has melted away, and nature is filling the charred forest once more. I can see the wild flowers rising from the earth with the  green shoots of new trees that will be a part of the woods in the years to come. We are no longer bundled up in thick jackets and scarves. The warm air is alive with sweet birdsong. And something else. Hope.

"We're going to start with some stretches," instructs Soldier Taliss.

Aftr two years of being cooped up in the compound and the only exercise I did was walking, even the simplest stretches are excruciating. The same goes for everyone. Solider Taliss must sense this after seeing the winces on our faces.

"You can do it Soldiers!" she encourages. Soldier Taliss is nice and a great trainer but she doesn't usually offer encouragements like this. She must see how difficult it is for us.

When I bend down to touch my toes, I realise I can't do it. Pain shoots up my leg as my arms hopelessly dangle towards the ground and my hands reach for the toes that now seem too out of reach. I scowl at my feet- never moving, taunting me. Agony is all I feel.

Soldier Taliss has the good sense to let us walk around the running track after she sees the pain on our faces and the way some people walk with a limp. We spend the rest of the morning walking laps of the track. Even though we're walking, some people have to take a rest at several intervals because of the strain on their heart. I can see Soldier Taliss's brows furrow together in worry. What use are soldiers if they can't even walk half an hour without taking a break?

In the afternoon, its shooting time. I'm dreading it. At least we're all doing badly together.

When it comes to assembling a gun, I'm rusty. My fingers are slow and they fumble. I guess but I guess I have some muscle memory because I manage it. When it comes to shooting, I miss the target completely. The bullet sails off into the distance and lodges itself in some rubble. I pull my face into a grimace. I feel like I'm sixteen years old again- no aim, precision or accuracy. I move closer to the target and I shoot over and over again until it finally finds its way onto the target.

By the time we're called for dinner, my class including Soldier Taliss is in bad spirits.

***

"What's up?" asks Edel when he joins me for dinner.

"Training. It was a mess. We're back to square one. I'm twenty three now and I still have the same skill level I had when I was sixteen."

"Maybe physically but not mentally. Look how much you've learnt. And look how much you're respected here."

"Respected?"

"You've done so well. You've worked so hard. The military leaders and the President have noticed a young girl from District 12- the poorest district. People look up to you now. You've earned their respect."

Can it be true? "It will take so long for me to get back in shape," I complain.

"Only a few months."

***

I submerge myself into training again. The seasons fly past in a blur. Pink blossoms. Orange leaves. White snowflakes. Green shoots. Pink blossoms. Orange leaves. White snowflakes. Green shoots.

Two years on, I'm excelling once more. At first, it was baby steps. Walking. Move the target close. Jogging. Increase the distance between myself and the target. Sprinting. Shoot the target from afar. Rebuilding my strength and building on my knowledge. I have surpassed expectations again.

"Solider Coin," calls Soldier Taliss after a particularly tough day of training. "You're wanted in Command."

I follow her to the room. What can it be? Have they noticed my improvement or is it something... else?

I walk into Command and I stop short.  It's full of officials and leaders from 13 sat around the table. Their faces are expressionless. My heartbeat quickens and my throat closes up.

"Well, sit down Soldier Coin," gestures the President to the empty seats opposite him. Soldier Taliss sits down and pulls out a notebook. I sit down next to her. What is going on?

"Since you came to District 13, you've showed a lot of determination, hard work and perseverance. All of which are ideal qualities we look for in our citizens. You also have a certain quality that others...lack. Courage in the face of death. You have progressed in your classes and therefore you have climbed the ranks. After months of discussion and carefully observing  you, we have agreed it is time. Soldier Coin, we would like to make you a military leader under the guidance of Soldier Taliss."

Wait...what!??? Ahhhhh. Oh. My. Goodness. Oh. My. Goodness! I can't believe it!!!! I'm screaming inside with overjoyment but I must remain professional.

"I happily accept my new position as a military leader for District 13."

The room breaks into smiles and congratulations.

"You're actually the youngest military leader in the whole history of District 13," says President Ashbrook.

I've done it. I've made my mark after all.

---------------------------------------------------------

Fun fact- in my English class there's a poster of Katniss Everdeen.

Have you guys listened to Maiah Wynne's songs from the Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes?

My favourite is As pure as the driven snow. Whats yours? Let me know in the comments!