Chapter 1

Are you, are you coming to the tree. The words rang in my head over and over again. Who knew that Coriolanus Snow- the top student of the academy in the Captiol, the Captitol's poster boy, could be a killer? Sejanus Plinth! His friend! His third kill in a summer. And for what? What could be worth betraying, killing, his friend? Only his reputation and the good of the Capitol. The place where they sent me to my death for their own entertainment. The Capitol and everyone associated with it are truly twisted and Snow's head is destined for that throne.  

While we were walking through the forest surrounding District 12 to get here, Coriolanus let slip that three kills were enough. He said the third was himself- "old me" but he really thinks him going to fall for that? He really thinks I can't see through his lies and his "good" act? It's Sejanus. It's Sejanus- a boy living in the Capitol who died in the Capitol arena, during the chaos of the 10th Hunger Games. The arena where death haunted me. The Capitol which caged me in torture. Coriolanus killed Bobbin in self defence in that arena. But what was Mayfair when he came to District 12 after becoming a Peacekeeper? Self defense or an impulse to kill? He may have been protecting me but look how that's ended up: the mayor camping outside my house, eyes on the rest of the Covey- my family. The mayor was sure that I killed his daughter. Now, it's only a matter of time before I get hanged and the rest of the Covey are interrogated and tortured. If the mayor thinks I'm dead and gone, the Covey will be at peace. I'm doing this to save them. 

The deadly weapons that Billy Taupe, my past lover, concealed when he tried to run from the District, were discovered by us behind the door of the tiny house in the middle of the forest. Coriolanus's Peacekeeper gun lies in the heart of it. If he can destroy it, he will have nothing against him. Nothing to prove that he is a murderer. Then, he'll be free to live a better life back in the Districts. Or, he'll return to the Capitol- the place where he can look down at the rest of us, the place where they treat the District like toys. I've seen the look on his face. The look that means he's done with his new life. After all, he is from the Capitol. A place once full of richness and opulence. A place where you can't imagine living the rest of your life in the wilderness. He's dying to find an excuse to go back to civilization. And now he's got one. 

The ominous clouds has plunged the outside world in a thick coat of darkness, leaving the only light source to come from the fireplace between us. As the orange flames lick and toy with the coals, they draw shadows and flickering light around the room, hiding and highlighting each minuscule detail of my surroundings. The flames have painted Coriolanus's face, blackening his eyes, drawing his cheekbones, turning his skin into ivory, branding him a murderer, and for the first time, I'm afraid of him. 

"Hey, Coriolanus. I'm going to dig up some katniss," I call over to him, breaking the heavy silence between us. 

He hesitates. "Aren't they too early to be in season?" he questions. 

"Two weeks can make a big difference," I smile.

"You'll get soaked," he protests. 

"Don't be silly. I'm not made of sugar," I laugh. 

In the light of the flames, among the weapons, the silver knife blade shines, beckoning me and I pick it up. It's long and heavy and offers some means of self defense. If it should come to that. It leaves the guns for Coriolanus. Unfortunately, I've never had the luxury to learn how to shoot or load a gun. He has from his Peacekeeper training. The odds are not in my favour today.

I pull open the door and leave the warmth of the forest house. Outside in the forest clearing, the icy rain pounds like bullets, soaking me to my bones. I don't have much time. My heart pounds in my chest and adrenaline flies through me. I flee the scene. 

I must get out of this forest. Away from him. The murder weapon is in his hands. Could I be his fourth kill?

My legs and lungs burn but I keep running and running over twigs and branches and brown fallen leaves, and overgrown roots. The trees turn into a green and ground blur, hurtling past my vision. I want to scream and scream and scream until someone hears me but no one will. I've only got myself to save me. I persist on running until I reach a place where the towering trees stretch high into the sky offering me some protection from being drenched. It's that that I purposely sag my orange scarf on a bush. It's the one Coriolanus gave me- our very own token of "love."

 He will come. I know it. When he does, I'll be ready.