Chapter 8

Sarrel said we would get there in a week or so. I'm glad to get out of this forest and it's only been a day. Sixty five if I'm counting the time I spent in the lake house.

I'm down by the steam. The cool, clean water washes away all the traces of mud and ash from my skin.
The grime reminds me of the zoo and the arena and the bombs that went off. The Games. I scrub it off, harder than reasonable, rubbing my skin red-raw. I'm glad. I would do anything to erase the memories of the Games. Coriolanus? I don't know.

He's a snake. Dangerous. Manipulative. Deadly. In the arena he kept me alive. Was it because he couldn't cope with me dead? No. He was glad, almost willing to kill me in the forest with no one watching. He kept me alive but it wasn't for me. It was for him. There must have been something, some sort of award for the mentor if their tribute won. It all makes sense. The rat poison given to me in his mother's compact. He gave me his most treasured possession so there would be trust between us. So I wouldn't doubt his motives. And what was that thing with the rainbow snakes? Why didn't they attack me like they did with the rest of the tributes? I have a way with snakes but certainty not unnatural ones. Did they know my scent somehow? And what exactly was Coriolanus doing in 12? Training as a Peacekeeper? I don't believe it for a second. After all his time spent in academia, all the time invested in him? Someone must have found out about the snakes. Of course, they knew about the compact. Searched me after the Games and there was no way I could conceal it. I lied though. To protect him. Well there's no way I'm going to do that again. Ever.

I'm not going to forget him. Not really.  But I'm going to make him pay for what he's done and what he will do in the future. Not just to me but to all of Panem. There's no stopping what he has the ability to do. Once a snake, always a snake. This won't be the last time he sees me.

I've been up since dawn but I'm not tired. Honestly, I can't sleep. Not with everything that's been going on. I wonder what life would have been like if the mayor hadn't read my name at the reaping. Would I be safe in 12? Probably. I'd be with the Covey now. I would just be Lucy Gray, lead singer of the Covey. Not the Victor. Would Coriolanus fallen in love with the girl. I don't know. I did make an impression right from the start. That's something not many people can do.

I collapse onto the floor of the forest and lean against the branch of a tree. The bark is hard and cold against my skin and the dew on the leafy forest floor dampens my dress and legs but I don't mind. The birdsong fills me with hope and peace. The forest has become a place of tranquil. I want to stay here forever.

***

Over the week, I learn more about 9 and in return, Sarrel learns more about 12. There's only one obvious topic he's stayed away from. I know it's coming though and today is the day. We both don't know if we'll get this peace an privacy in 13. If it exists. Part of me wishes it didn't. Spending all this time in the wilderness is nice. Sarrel makes it nicer too.

"So. The Hunger Games. What was it like?" He breaks the easy silence.

"Awful. I wish I wasn't reaped. Did you watch it?"

"Part of it. Electricity isn't reliable. And I had to work during the day so I only watched it in the evenings. Not very eventful. I saw your reaping though. I loved the part when you put a snake in that girl's dress. Going away in style. Who was she?"

"The mayor's daughter. Mayfair. We were enemies. She was a bitch. Stuck up little girl. I think her father purposely read my name out at the reaping."

"Goodness. She must really hate you."

"Yeah. We'll she's gone now." I leave out the part where she's dead.

"You looked beautiful in your rainbow dress. And your voice and the song you sang was lovely." Sarrel says in a dreamy tone.