Chapter Nine: Poison Forest

All at once Natsu was suddenly aware of how alive the forest was. The wind whistled a slow and inhuman song that caused the trees to croak and moan. The grass shifted and wriggled where ever he looked, and that dreadful hovering beat of beetles wing seemed to come from everywhere.

Worst of all though was the smell. It was subtle enough at first that he hadn't noticed it initially, but now that he was aware of it that...toxic burning, that bitter scent of death. It threatened to swallow him whole.

How hadn't he noticed it earlier? How had he willingly lead Lucy deeper into this dreadful place.

He put her in danger.

How idiotic had he been, how stupid was he to be so focused on getting home, on freeing his friend, that he put her life at risk.

"Natsu!"

The fire dragon jump at the cool feeling of Lucy's scales brushing against his own. He turned his stiff neck to look at her, eyes wide and thin.

"Calm down," she pressed her muzzle into the crook of his neck "you need to calm yourself."

Natsu hadn't realized his breathing had picked up in speed until Lucy spoke those words.

His thoughts had spiraled again, an unwelcome habit he had somewhere along the way of life acquired.

He took a deep and shaking breath.

"We're in danger," he breathed eyes turning up towards the thick and netted tree line "I put us in danger."

"Wouldn't be the first time," Lucy tried to joke but quickly regretted at the way Natsu grit his teeth.

"It's not your fault," Lucy tried again sternly, pressing herself further into his side "you didn't pick this location remember? We quite literally crash landed here."

Natsu could only offer half a nod, his senses overwhelmed to the point where he felt nauseas- as if he was on a speeding vehicle.

Lucy made a comforting noise from the back of her throat before slinking her way around Natsu, her tail lifting to brush under his chin and keep his gaze on her.

"Nothing is going to change just sitting here Natsu," she purred "let's keep moving shall we?"

The fire dragon blinked at her, he seemed unsure and almost nervous before gently padding after her.

"We should avoid being seen by the creatures here," he muttered coming to join her side "I don't think a confrontation between tainted monsters would end well."

Lucy scoffed "you don't have to tell me twice."

---------------------------------------------------------
"Can't this thing go any faster?" Gray growled stepping behind Hibiki who could only groan in annoyance.

"for the fifth time no."

"Gray," it was Erza's turn to hiss as she gripped the ice mages shoulder tightly "leave them be, they're already doing everything they can."

"Yes but time is of the essence," Gray sputtered "we've already lost so much of it was have to move fast if we hope to catch Fellmuth!"

"Blue pegasus is already helping us as much they can by allowing us to use Christina- it would've taken us at least a week to get to the ancient grove if they hadn't," the scarlet mage reminded him sternly- tightening her grip on his shoulder.

Gray dropped his gaze and Erza released him, cranning her neck to look at the archive mage "thank you again for your help it is much appreciated."

Hibiki nodded "Lucy and Natsu-as well as fairy tail as a whole have done a lot for us it's the least we could do," he crossed his arms "I just hope we're able to intercept Fellmuth's ship before they move again."