Chapter 6: Blood and Water

Natsu was silent, tucking his muzzle down low and keeping his eyes trained on those in front of him. Lucy was beside him, almost under him really, her head tucked under his snout, eyes flickering from one foe to the next.

They were hidden behind crates, hay, and various other objects stored away in their little hideout. In front of them in the center of the room, digging through scraps were two men, workers for the arena presumably one looking far more nervous then the other.

"You don't think they're here do you?" The nervous one piped up, ringing his hands together.

The other one rolled his eyes "I think we'd notice if there were fuckin' dragons in here mate."

Natsu looked down at Lucy a smile playing on his face which the dragoness returned with a glare to be silent.

On the otherside of the room he could just barely make out the frame of Arleos slinking deeper behind a row of cabinets. The black scaled dragon was so shadow like that unless you knew what to look for you'd never know he was there.

One of the men grunted as he pulled down a rack of chains, the smaller one murmured something to himself before quickly helping his friends get a grapple on the tangled mess of metal rope.

"Dragons are sneaky creatures! They're really smart too they could be anywhere!" The man looked around the room anxiously, helping to carry the chains towards the door.

The other one shook his head and sighed "lizards the size of wolves ain't gonna be good at hiding in small places. The guards are all over it they'll have 'em back in there cells before dusk." He grunted twisting his arm in order to open the door leading to the hall.

"If you say so... I'd still rather be working in guest courtiers rather then the chambers today."

The dragons could hear the tail end of the conversation as the door was kicked shut. Silence then swept over the storage closet, the dragons laying in wait making sure the coast was clear before poking there heads out.

Natsu clambered up onto a bale of hay, a laugh slipping from his throat, his gaze on the door "those idiots had no idea we were even here!"

Lucy yipped as she flapped her wings and jumped onto the bale beside Natsu "yeah and I'd like to keep it that way so keep your voice down!"

Natsu just rolled his eyes a smirk on his snout.

Arleos scanned the area carefully as he step closer to the center, looking more like a nervous deer rather then a fearsome dragon.

Natsu chirped as he hoped down from the hay bale, claws skidding across the ground as he ran to meet his friend. Lucy was following close behind, though she opted to glide down smoothly rather then run.

Once he had reached his side Natsu affectionately nudge Arleos's shoulder the other dragon looked surprised by the action before giving the fire dragons forehead it own nuzzle. At the contact Natsu chirped in delight.

Lucy looked between the two again, the thought of confronting Arleos about her suspicion weighed heavily on her mind. These two shared the same blood and at one point had shared a past. The only problem was she didn't know where to begin.

"Alright boys," Lucy cleared her throat "we need a game plan for today, now that we know how to fly what comes next?"

Natsu shifted excitedly on his paws tail wagging and eyes on the shadowy dragon.

Arleos hummed in acknowledgement "well we should probably find a way to remove these muzzles."

Lucy sighed "I know but nothing seems to work...at least not claws or teeth."