Chapter Two: Clashing Claws

The loud roar of cheers rung through the air accompanied by the sound of stomping feet, that resonated in his bones like a beating drum.

The dragon lowered his head and took a few hesitant paw steps forward. Guarding his throat and his flanks he began to stalk around the the Vulcan, eyes narrowed into slits as he watched the creature with sudden understanding.

Monster fights. A popular but very illegal past time which involved capturing dangerous monsters and creatures and forcing them to fight to the death.

What was his captured goal? Why send him here when previously his mission was to acquire dragon wings?

The Vulcan suddenly let lose an angry cry before charging towards him, it's heavy footsteps making the ground beneath him shake.

Natsu growled and kicked himself off the ground, giving a quick flap of his wings to give him more ground, landing to the side of the monsters attack.

Natsu dug his claws into the earth of the arena and flexed his wings by his side in an instinctive attempt to make himself look bigger.

The Vulcan swiftly whirled around and snarled at him.

A reptilian hiss, similar to that of a crocodile escaped the dragons throat as he shook his wings and bared his teeth.

The Vulcan swung one of its massive paws at him, but with a beat of his wings and a spring of his legs Natsu was able to leap back and avoid the hit.

In all honesty Natsu had no real desire to fight the creature before him. The poor thing was probably scared and confused, forced to keep fighting in order to stay alive. But the thought of Lucy all alone in that cell was what allowed him to reach his resolve.

The Vulcan swung its fist again but this time Natsu leapt forward and buried his sharp talons into the beasts forearm.

The Vulcan cried in pain and used its other fist to bat the dragon off.

"Ngh," Natsu grunted as he hit the ground roughly before thrusting himself onto his feet.

The Vulcan charged at him again.

"Fire dragon," Natsu sucked in a breath "roar!"

A loud and excited cry broke through the audience as a flurry of flames spilt from his mouth and danced around the creature licking painfully at its rough skin.

The monster growled and stumbled backwards. Natsu quickly took advantage of the creatures fumble and pounced at its chest, forcing it onto the ground.

A devilish shriek erupted from Natsu's throat as he reared himself back and struck at the Vulcans face several times with his claws.

The Vulcan below him roared and twisted itself back onto its paws.

Quickly Natsu jumped from the creatures chest to its shoulder, digging his claws into the its back to keep himself steady.

The Vulcan grunted painfully and reached both its hands behind its back desperately trying to pull the dragon off.

Natsu growled at the Vulcans frantic movements trying hard to stay on.

The dragons blade like fangs sliced through the rough and thick flesh of the Vulcans shoulder, near the nape of its neck. Blood flooded his mouth as Natsu shook his head back and forth ripping out chunks of his opponents flesh.

Suddenly the Vulcan dropped to the ground, using its weight to crush the dragon on its back into the cold dirt of the arena.

Natsu cried out releasing his hold on the Vulcans shoulder. The dragon struggled below his opponent, pinning him painfully to the ground. Natsu flared around for a moment before whipping his head back, impaling the beasts back with his horns.