Chapter 21 - Hunters

The night was silent as I crept through the woods. I didn’t know who I was after or what, but I needed the hunt… the kill.

Finally I saw it. It was only a deer, but it was the best I had come across. I pounced. It tried to run and wriggle its way out of my grip, but we both knew it was useless, I had won. Just as I was about to sink my teeth into its neck there was a blinding light. I loosened my grip and the deer sprinted off into the dark.

Everything was a blur; I could barely make out anything. However, one thing I could see was the rapidly approaching figure coming towards me. Things became clearer and I could make out some features. He was tall and had dark skin. There were three other men with him, but he seemed to be the leader of the group. He wasn’t an Argent and neither were the others. They must have split off into groups during the full moon to cover more ground.

“You don’t have the best alpha in the world, sweetheart. Not if he left you out here on your own.”

My response was a loud intimidating roar, which brought a smile to his face. I wanted to kill him and the others, but when I charged forward there was a loud bang and a shooting pain in my leg. Then another bang and the same pain coursed through my arm.

“Use the bow.” The leader spoke to a man to his right. He lifted the bow up and pointed it at me. He released the arrow and it came flying at me. I didn’t have the strength to catch it, all I could do was watch as the arrow came flying at me and pierce my stomach. It hurt… a lot. I couldn’t breathe. I felt myself changing back to human form. My knees came crashing to the ground followed by my hands. I looked up at the hunter and he crouched down beside me.

“Such a shame. I don’t like killing teenage werewolves, especially ones as pretty as you, but I’m afraid I don’t have a choice.” He stood up and pointed the gun at me, this time aiming for my head. “We are at war after all.”

I could hear the trigger being pulled. The gun fire and the sound the bullet made as it flew through the air, but I didn’t feel the pain.

Just as he was about to pull the trigger something knocked him to the ground and his shot was fired into the air. The other hunters looked around in fear with their guns and bows pointed in every direction. Something was circling them, hunting them. They occasionally fired a shot at the shadow running in circles, but every time a gun shot was fired the man who fired it was thrown against a tree and knocked out until every one of them was out cold.

I still had the bullets and arrows in my body and I was losing a lot of blood. My vision was blurred for the second time that night and my arms gave way beneath me. I was now lying on my back. Someone crouched down beside me.

“Anna?” I could just make out his dark hair, green eyes and a little bit of stubble.

“Derek?” He didn’t answer me. The next thing I knew I was being lifted off the ground and carried through the woods. “Where are we going?”

“To my car, I have to get the arrows and bullets out or you won’t heal.” I started to close my eyes.

“No, no Anna look at me. You need to stay awake.” I couldn’t control it. My eyes were closing. I wanted to listen to my alpha and stay awake, but I couldn’t. “Damn it Anna, stay awake.” He started running. The next thing I knew we were at the car and I was being placed in a seat.

“This will hurt.” Derek said right before ripping out the arrow from my stomach. I managed not to scream. It wasn’t the worst pain I had felt that night. Then I felt relieved. My body was healing, fast, but the relief didn’t last long.

It was time to get the bullets out. My vision was no longer blurred and I didn’t feel as weakened. I noticed Derek’s claws growing to long points.

“What are you doing?”

“I have to get the bullets out.”

“Let me guess – it’s going to hurt.”

Derek gave me a sympathetic look before he dug his nails into the whole in my leg then pulled the bullet out. He did the same to my arm. I again managed to hold myself together. In one night I seemed to grow more accustomed to pain. I wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not. Believe me I felt every bit of it, but I managed not to show it.

“You’re lucky they weren’t wolfs-bane bullets.” Derek said as he chucked them onto the ground followed by the arrow. He got up and closed my door, walked around to the driver’s side and got in the car. The trip to my house was quiet until I gave in and decided to talk.

“Are you mad?”

“No. It happens. Next time I will be there. I’m just thank-full you didn’t kill anyone.”

“But I wanted to.”

“You will learn to control that.”

“You keep saying that, but when?”

“It takes time and practise. It might be easier now that you will have Isaac as well.”

“How did it go, breaking Isaac out?”

“Good. He killed a hunter and went after Stiles, but we got him out.” My heart jumped.

“Stiles! Is he okay, did he hurt him?” I was panicking.

“He’s fine.” My heart rate slowly calmed down and my breathing returned to normal.

We pulled up out the front of the house and Derek got out, but before I could open my door he opened it for me. I got out of the car and wasn’t surprised when there was no pain in my leg. Just as I was walking towards my door Derek grabbed my arm.

“Your mum’s home.”

“She usually is at midnight on a Friday.” I said with a half-smile.

“I can smell the whisky from here.” Oh great it was whisky.

“I’ll be fine. You should get back to Isaac.”

Derek took one more look up at the house then turned around and walked to the car. Just before he got in he turned to look at me. “Call me if you need to be picked up.”

“Will do, see ya boss.” I said as I walked up to the front door and Derek drove off.

I got halfway up the stairs.

“Where have you been?”