Chapter 29 - In A Word... Transformative

Not long after I arrived at the ice rink Derek got a call from Erica.

“And?” He said once he answered the phone.

“Stiles won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.” She replied from the other end of the line.

“Good. Now come to the rink.”

“How? I don’t have a car.”

“Run.”

“I’m wearing heels.” I couldn’t help a laugh which I’m pretty sure she heard.

“You’ll manage.” Derek hung up the phone. “Scott should be here soon.”

“What exactly are we gunna do?” I asked.

“Let’s see how it plays out.”

We didn’t have to wait long before Scott showed up then Erica rocked up behind us. Boyd was working so Derek, Isaac, me and now Erica were waiting out of sight, but not out of ear shot which earned Erica a glare from Derek because she was breathing pretty loud from running.

“Boyd!” Scott yelled from the doorway. “I just want to talk.” Boyd payed no attention. “Hey, come on Boyd. Did Derek tell you everything? And I don’t mean just going out of control on the full moons I mean everything.” Boyd shut off the motor to the piece of machinery he was working on.

“He told me about the hunters.”

“And that’s not enough to say no? Whatever you want there are other ways to get it.”

“I just want to not eat lunch alone every day.”

“If you’re looking for friends you can do a lot better than Derek.” A smile crept over my lips and was shortly followed by a nudge in the ribs from Derek, who then walked out onto the ice rink.

“That really hurts Scott. I mean if you’re going to review me at least take a consensus. Erica, how has life been for you since we met?”

“Hmm in a word… transformative.” She said with a smile followed by a growl showing her canines.

“Isaac?”

“Well I’m a little bummed about being a fugitive, but other than that I’m great.”

Derek didn’t bother to ask me. I had had enough conversations with Scott about me changing and I had a feeling he didn’t want me on his bad side anymore then I was which is probably why Erica had to take care of Stiles.

“Okay, wait. This isn’t exactly a fair fight.”

“Then go home, Scott.” Derek said then looked over his shoulder at Isaac and Erica who then walked towards Scott. I followed, but before I walked past Derek he grabbed my arm and shook his head.

Scott transformed, knelt to the ground and cracked the ice with his fist. “I meant fair for them.”

Scott lunged forward and threw Isaac, who I had to duck for, across the room and against the glass. Then he kicked Erica against the piece of machinery, which I still didn’t know the name of. I had to give him credit – he was good. Obviously more skilled and experienced then Erica and Isaac.

Isaac came running up and threw Scott along the ground making him dig his nails into the ice, also making him more angry. I couldn’t decide if I was impressed by all of their fighting skills or amused by the amount of time they spent trying to balance on the ice. After about two minutes of throwing each other around Scott managed to bring Isaac and Erica to the ground. They weren’t getting up anytime soon by the look of it.

“Don’t you get it? He’s not doing this for you. He’s just adding to his own power, it’s all about him. He makes you feel like he’s given you a gift when all he’s done is turn you into a bunch of guard dogs.” Scott yelled, then slid the two unconscious bodies to Derek’s feet.

“It’s true. It is about power.” Derek walked towards Scott, shifted his eyes to red and pulled out his claws. I saw his ears grow to points and heard his growl. Scott never got a punch in. Derek punched him, slashed his stomach, punched him some more then threw him against the ground. I heard a crack which I hoped was the ice. Scott spat some blood out onto the white surface and Derek pushed his heel into his neck. After a while Derek let go leaving Scott gasping for breath. Boyd jumped down from the chunky machinery and stood over Scott.

“Don’t. You don’t want to be like him.” Scott said, spitting out some more blood.

“You’re right.” Boyd said lifting up his shirt and revealing a bite mark. “I wanna be like you.”

Boyd walked over to us. By now Isaac and Erica had woken up. We all walked out of the ice rink. I was the last to turn around, but before I did I looked at Scott. I gave him a small sympathetic smile, than followed the others.