Chapter 52 - Where Is Stiles?

By the time I got there everyone was already in their seats and the players were coming out. One of whom was Scott. Obviously the news about Jackson had brought him out, but he was on the bench with Stiles. Then Stiles ran out onto the field. For the first time ever Coach was letting him play, I was so happy for him.

“Go, Stiles!” I yelled out which made him look my way and smile. I gave him a thumbs up and found a seat. Not long after I took my seat I heard Gerard, but he wasn’t talking to me, he was talking to Scott.

“Scott, can you hear me? Ah, you can. Now listen carefully because the game is about to get interesting.” Gerard’s cold voice filled mine and Scott’s ears. I had a feeling him being on the bench wasn’t a coincidence. “Let’s put a real clock on this game Scott, I’ll give you until the last 30 seconds. When that score board clock starts ticking down from 30 if you haven’t given me Derek then Jackson is going to kill someone. So tell me Scott, who is going to die tonight? Should it be your mother who so bravely came out to support you? Or the sheriff, your best friend’s father? Or how about the pretty little red head that managed to survive the bite of an alpha? Or maybe one of these innocent teenagers with their whole life ahead of them? Or should I do everyone a favour and kill that ridiculous coach? I could even kill Derek’s favourite beta, the pretty blonde to your left and he may even come out of hiding himself. It’s up to you Scott, but you’re going to help me take Derek down. Because if you don’t I’ll have Jackson rip someone’s head off in the middle of the field and drench everyone you love and care about in blood.” The whistle blew and Gerard stopped talking. I didn’t know if Gerard knew I heard, but I was sitting further away from him then Scott so I pretended I didn’t and focused on the game… and Jackson’s every move.

2 minutes in Stiles was thrown the ball. He looked at it smiled and then was knocked to the ground. Another two minutes passed and he went to scoop the ball up. Each time he missed and caught his stick on grass and again was knocked to the ground. Then he was hit in the head with the ball. It was really an ongoing process until half time. I looked over at where Scott was talking to Coach. When coach walked away Scott was joined by another player… Isaac.

“You came to help.” Scott said to him.

“I came to win.”

I quickly got up from my seat and ran over, hugging Isaac around his shoulders from behind. “I knew you’d never leave.”

“You just lied.” He said looking back at me as I let go.

“Yes I did.” I lightly hit him on the shoulder “Don’t do it again.” We all looked over to where Gerard was standing, he looked shocked to see Isaac.

“You got a plan yet?” Isaac asked.

“Right now it’s pretty much stop Jackson from killing anyone.” Scott answered.

“Well it might be easier if you’re actually in the game. We have to make it so Coach has no choice but to play you.”

“How are we meant to do that, he has a whole bench of guys he will play first.” I said looking between Isaac and Scott. As soon as the words left my mouth I knew what Isaac was thinking and so did Scott. We both looked at him and he shrugged.

“Can you do it without putting anyone in the hospital?” Scott asked.

“I can try.” Isaac said and put his helmet on. As he was walking away I stopped him.

“Isaac, try and stay away from Jackson.” He nodded and walked off. “Oh god.” I said to myself. Scott and I looked at each other before I went back to my seat.

The next five minutes were spent watching Isaac throw his own team members around each time earning an angry yell from Coach. I couldn’t help smiling.

“Lahey! Seriously, what the hell is your problem?” Coach yelled earning a cheeky smile and a shrug from Isaac. Another minute passed and Isaac was knocked to the ground by Jackson, and he wasn’t moving. Scott and I both ran up to him.

“It’s not broken, but I can’t move it.” Isaac said indicating to his leg. “I think Jackson nicked me ‘cuz I can feel it spreading.” The paramedics came up and lifted Isaac onto a stretcher. Coach then came over.

“Crap. McCall, either you’re in or we for-fit.” Coach said chucking Scott his helmet.

As the paramedics walked away with Isaac I ran up beside him, but he stopped me. “No, you have to stay out here, keep an eye on Jackson.” He said. I nodded, squeezed his hand and ran back over to my seat. I hated sitting there. I felt useless, but I couldn’t do anything else. Scott ran out onto the field and for the next few minutes nothing really happened, it was just lacrosse. There was only 10 minutes left on the clock until I realised Gerard wasn’t here, he had left.

“Scott! Where’s Gerard?” he was 25 metres away, but he could hear me.

“Isaac.” I heard him say. I went to get up, but he stopped me. “No, you stay here, the game’s nearly over.”

“That’s why you have to stay, I can’t do anything from here, but you can.”

“You may need help.” He was stubborn I wasn’t going to convince him to stay.

“We have 8 minutes, better hurry.” I said looking up at the clock than taking off.

Scott was better at tracking then me so I followed him until we came to the boy’s locker room. We stopped outside the door and heard four heartbeats including Isaac’s. Scott and I exchanged glances before opening the door. We wasted no time. He went for the one on the right and I went for the left, but by the time we were done we turned around and Gerard was gone.

“Where is he?” Scott asked looking at Isaac who just shook his head.

“Scott, the game.” Without saying anything Scott took off for the lacrosse field.

“Here.” I said, helping Isaac out of the bathroom and into the locker room. “You need anything?”

“No, I think it’s worn off now, I should be fine. It was only a small scratch.”

“You wanna go back out?” Isaac opened his mouth to speak, but before he could there was a scream coming from outside. More than one actually. People were panicking. We looked at each other than both took off for the field. Isaac and I walked up to the where everyone was crowding to see Jackson’s lifeless body lying on the ground.

“He’s not breathing. No pulse.” Mrs McCall said than lifted up the bottom of his red lacrosse shirt revealing blood.

“Oh my god, there’s blood, there’s blood.” Lydia said, freaking out.

“Look.” Scott said pointing to Jackson’s hand which had blood on his fingers.

“He did it to himself?” Isaac asked.

“Where’s Stiles? Where is Stiles?” The sheriff yelled, looking everywhere. “Where the hell is my son?”

I looked at Scott and then looked around. Stiles wasn’t anywhere. I got out my phone and tried ringing him, but there was no reply. I tried ringing again and again, but nothing. He was missing.