Chapter 16 - One Down, Two To Go

It was useless. I may be learning how to use my senses quickly, but control was one thing I was definitely going to have to work on. Derek had managed to throw me against every wall and the floor for the past hour and every time I either shifted back to human form from the pain or into wolf form from anger, but neither was done on my own free will. I didn’t know what I was going to do on Friday night.

As I was driving home I went through all the possible outcomes of the full moon both negative and positive, but mainly negative. A – I could kill some random, B - I could kill a friend, C – I could kill my mum, D – I could try and kill Derek which in turn would lead to hundreds of broken bones, mine that is, E – I somehow manage to find an anchor and learn control, F – I come across Stiles or Scott and they find out what I am, or G – I come across hunters and they kill me. And my personal favourite – All of the above.

I pulled into my drive way. The sun had set about an hour ago, I didn’t realise that I had practically been training with Derek all day. I noticed a bike parked outside the house, Isaac’s bike. I placed my hand on the door knob and turned. The door swung open revealing Isaac standing in the hall way.

“Hey, how did you get in?”

“Your mum let me in before she left for work.”

“So, have you decided?” I asked, getting straight to the point.

“Yes.” He paused for a few seconds. “I want to join you.”

I couldn’t help the smile that stretched across my face. “Great. I will take you to Derek.”

I sent Derek a text in advance letting him know I was bringing Isaac and the reply was almost immediate.

Don’t bring him just yet. I’m following the new beta in town that we saw at the cemetery. –Derek

“Okay we are going to have to wait for a while – he’s out, but you can make yourself at home. Would you like some chips?”

“No, thank-you.” Another smile crossed my face. “What?” he asked when he noticed my smirk.

“One of the perks of being a werewolf is really good hearing and I can hear your heartbeat. It skipped a beat when you said no. Meaning...”

“I lied.” Isaac finished my sentenced for me, causing a bigger smile and one in return from him. I handed him a bowl of salt and vinegar chips and led him to the living room.

“Any preferences? And don’t lie because I can tell.” I asked flicking through the channels on the television.

“Friends?”

I chuckled. “You read my mind.”

We sat there for a couple of hours watching friends and occasionally discussing school and answering a few of his questions about being a beta until I received a text from Derek.

The hunters killed the omega. We need to talk, but first bring Isaac to me at the station. –Derek

Leaving now –Anna

“Derek’s back. We have to go see him now.” I said getting up off the coach and turning off the TV. Isaac followed me out to my car and hopped in the passenger’s seat.

“Where are we going?”

“To an old train station, we use it as a hide out and training ground.”

“How many are there?”

“Just Derek and I. Oh and Scott McCall, but he isn’t part of the pack. Jackson was bitten too, but he doesn’t seem to be showing any signs of transformation. Just before I left Derek after training today he mentioned that he’d seen him before school started today, but he seemed to be rejecting the bite.”

“Will that happen to me?”

“Not likely. It didn’t to me or Scott. Derek is trying to figure out what’s happening to Jackson, because if he was going to die he would’ve already.”

Finally we had arrived at the station. I handed Isaac a torch as I thought he might need one and lead him to the staircase which went downstairs to the station. We reached the bottom of the stairs and I walked past Isaac as Derek appeared in the doorway of the train. He jumped down and walked so he was standing next to me. I couldn’t read the expression on Isaac’s face, but I knew he still wanted it. Derek didn’t even bother with asking any questions, he just lunged. I heard Isaac’s painful scream as Derek sunk his teeth into Isaac’s side. I could only imagine what he saw and felt in that moment. Derek’s green eyes turning a luminous red, his fangs growing into sharp points and the agonising pain coursing through his body.

Derek backed off after a few seconds and stood up, moving back next to me. Isaac hadn’t moved, or couldn’t from the shock. When he finally did his eyes went to the fresh wound on his side then flicked up to look at Derek and then across at me. I gave him a weak smile. Isaac managed to get to his feet.

“How long will it take?” The question was pointed at Derek.

“12 hours, give or take. You will know when you start changing. Your wound will heel and your senses will become sharper, but until you learn control you have to be careful, both of you.” Derek said turning to me.