Chapter 19 - The Truth

“What? Is that a werewolf thing? Can you tell when someone’s sick?” Stiles asked completely clueless.

“Yes I can, but that’s not how I know.”

“Then how? Scott, you okay? You’re looking kind of… pissed off. Is it the full moon?” Stiles said examining his friend’s facial expression.

“I’m a beta, Stiles.” I said jumping in. I had a feeling Scott would have only gotten through half the sentence before shifting the way he was looking.

“You’re a what?” he practically yelled the response.

“I’m a beta. I’ve been part of Derek’s pack since the night he killed the alpha.”

“You can’t be serious.”

“Oh she’s serious.” Scott sounded like he was about to punch something or someone, it was the someone option that I was worried about.

“No you can’t be. I drove you home that night.” Stiles sounded really hurt and it broke my heart.

“I went back, Stiles. Almost straight after you dropped me off.”

“Why?” It was Scott asking the questions now.

“I’ll give you three guesses.”

“I only need one.” Stiles said. “I understand why you would want the bite, Anna, but I don’t know how you could have done it. And especially not tell us. You took an entire week off school just to avoid us and you didn’t say anything last weekend at the hardware store.”

“I know, but I didn’t know how to tell you and Derek said it would be best to keep it quiet for as long as possible.”

“Are you kidding me? You’re taking orders from Derek? Then man who murdered his own uncle just to become alpha?” Scott was practically yelling.

“Can you keep your voice down, and yes I am. He’s my alpha and Peter killed his sister just so he could become alpha so I think Derek had every right. Plus Peter was dying anyway.”

“You’re defending him?” It was Stiles’ turn this time.

“Yes I am.”

“What about Isaac?”

“I don’t know Scott, that’s why I’m here. Derek turned him on Wednesday. The same night Gerard killed that omega, but something killed his father last night and it wasn’t him. That’s why the police are here and I’m trying to listen in on what’s happening.”

“That’s why we’re here.” Stiles said.

“Okay well I can answer more questions later, but can we please find out what’s happening with Isaac?”

“Agreed.” Scott said, but I could tell he was still angry and I didn’t blame him. We sat on the benches outside the office listening in on the conversation that was going on between Sheriff Stilinski and Jackson.

“You’re telling me that you knew Isaac’s father was hitting him?” The Sheriff said.

“Hitting him? He was kicking the crap out of him.” Jackson said with no care in the world.

“Did you ever say anything to anyone? Teachers, parents, anyone?”

“Nope, it’s not my problem.”

“No, no. Of course not. It’s funny that the kids getting beaten up are the ones that least deserve it.”

“Yeah. Wait what?” That brought a smile to my face.

“I think we’re done here.” The sheriff finished off.

“Okay, I have to go.” I said taking off down the hall.

“Wait, Anna!” Scott yelled after me.

“I’ll talk to you later!” I yelled back. I practically sprinted to Derek’s car. “We have a problem, two actually.” I said getting into the passenger’s seat.

“What is it?”

“Well, one Scott and Stiles now know that you turned me and Isaac and two Jackson just told the police that Isaac’s father was beating him.”

“Damn it.” At first I thought he was saying that because of what I told him, but then I saw what he was looking at.

“They’re taking him to the police station aren’t they?” I asked. The police were putting Isaac into the back off a squad car and then started to drive off just as Scott came bursting through the doors. Derek started the car and sped off to the front of the school and stopped in front of Scott.

Derek leaned over me and spoke to Scott “Get in.”

“Are you serious? You did that. That’s your fault.” He said pointing in the direction the cops drove off in.

“I know that. Now get in the car and help me.”

“No, I have a better idea. I’m getting a lawyer, because a lawyer might have a better chance of getting him out before the moon comes up.”

“Not when they do a real search of the house.”

“What do you mean?”

“Whatever Jackson said to the cops. What’s in that house is worse. A lot worse.”

Scott sighed and I knew he had given in. I opened my door to the car and jumped in the back so Scott could get in. Derek then drove out of the school and headed towards Isaac’s or at least that’s what I thought.