Chapter 4: Reservoir Dogs

There is something about the dismal weather that relaxes me

Vintage cars steer across gray cement, warm puddles on wet sidewalks, and the unusual fragrance of cinnamon and pumpkin lurking in the atmosphere.

It tickled Nessa's nose as she roamed across the beach, holding a postcard to an old friend Apollo.

They first met in a laboratory last December when Apollo was locked in a white panic room—tortured and experimented on by a strange entrepreneur named Jason Young.

The children had first encountered the billionaire at Lovecraft Creek, a community where sea anomalies ran rampant. Jason was impressed with their detective skills and takes the children to his facility.

His mission was to capture sea monsters and study them for research. That way, he could use their anatomy to provide medicine for his community.

But when the children discover that Jason's experiments were illegal, they band together to stop him—once and for all.

Using a memory card they had found in an old locket, the children informed the officers of Jason's crimes and had his facility shut down.

The children celebrated their victory by drinking hot chocolate and listening to old Christmas carols.

Soon, Nessa, Caleb, Johnny, and Brooke's investigation fell short when they heard the fate of Apollo on television.

The teenage boy, along with his father figure Martin, attempts to escape the country. But sadly, Apollo and Martin were both arrested for not bringing his mutant passport.

Right now, he is spending two maximum sentences in juvenile detention, whereas Martin is resting uncomfortably in a prison hospital.

Feeling sorry for Apollo, Nessa would send him endless postcards and mixtapes. Often, Apollo would respond by giving her Toad the Wet Sprocket singles.

They continued sharing letters and music until one afternoon, Apollo didn't write back. 

At first, the confused Nessa tried phoning the police station, but the officers refused to answer any of her questions.

Let alone treat Apollo's name with respect.

Nessa hoped that he could find a way to talk to her again, but by the time October came around, Nessa had already given up.

Apollo probably had his privileges revoked or something, Nessa was thinking as she placed a postcard and a Screaming Pumpkins mixtape inside the desolate mailbox.

It was the first day of November. The vibrant leaves matched the color of pumpkins; news and movies came and went.

Since Apollo and Nessa became friends for a year, I believe that this story takes place in the mid or late 90s.