Chapter 3: Are you Afraid of the Dark?

The moon towered California as little kids, adults, and simple-minded teenagers prance around the city carrying little buckets filled with candy

Doorbells rang throughout the milky twilight.

Its sweet tune enticed the children, but deep inside a melody lies a warning everyone ignores.

Bright orange, brilliant yellow, and blood-red leaves tumbled along the white limestone sidewalk.

Laughter and cries moistened the somber sky; though Halloween is an affluent holiday full of chastity and childhood, the four kids distanced themselves from the rest of the world.

Gobbling down their greasy popcorn, the four children watched every single episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? on the television set.

If you haven't seen the show, it follows an unusual premise. It is about a group of young kids who call themselves The Midnight Society.

In every episode, they would gather around the campfire and tell each other scary stories that have been submitted by their secret organization.

Curling beside her scared boyfriend, Brooke watches the television series with intrigue while draining her fizzy orange soda.

"Whoa." Nessa's eyes widened at the sight of a huge, terrifying clown coming out of door #6. "That clown guy was fucking crazy."

Her teeth tore through gummies, chocolate M&Ms, and Twizzlers. Feet tapped anxiously on the floor, irking Johnny a little.

Nevertheless, he slides his greasy hand in Nessa's and squeezed it tight until she stops fidgeting.

The atmosphere is cold. Black aura encloses around the four children, and the only light they have is the glowing television perched on the plywood table.

But somehow, the teenagers felt safer in this environment than the outside world.

As soon as episode two was finished, Johnny shuddered. "Jesus, that clown freak was way scarier than IT."

An alarmed Caleb pivots his head to confront Johnny.

"Dude!" he exclaimed. "I told you not to bring up that fucking movie again!"

Brooke and Nessa both shook their heads in dismay. Smooth hands rifled through buttery popcorn.

A couple of months ago, Johnny dared Caleb to sit through the entire movie of IT without taking a bathroom break.

The teenage telepath accepted the challenge; but instead of celebrating his victory, Caleb refused to take a shower for three months.

"Caleb does have a point," Nessa agrees, munching on her snack. "You did make him shit his pants."

Johnny casts her a solemn look. He knew that Nessa was telling the truth, but Johnny had hoped that he can persuade Caleb to forgive him.

"Daring you was an innocent mistake," said Johnny, adjusting his bottom to meet Caleb's stern eyes.