Micah Bell: It's Okay to be Scared

Start from the beginning

"Never had one" you shrugged and he just looked down at you without speaking. "Was just me and ma" there was a silence after that. Really, what was he supposed to say to that?

"What are ya doing here, kid? Ain't ya got somebody else to bother?" Micah settled on asking. He never claimed to be good at comforting people, nor was he interested in comforting anyone. Even a child.

"You were alone. I never liked being a long very much. Are you sad?" you asked innocently, your answer definitely surprising the man.

"I ain't sad. I like being alone" Micah told you, still a little taken back.

"Oh...well, I'll leave you alone then...uh..." you searched your memory for his name but came up with nothing. This was the first time you had interacted with him since you got to the camp.

"...Micah. Micah Bell" he introduced himself.

"Bye, Mr Bell!" you smiled before running off, not planning on hanging around if he really did just like being alone.

Micah was honestly bewildered by your friendliness and cheerfulness. Did he not scare you? Or put you off at the very least? He just shook it off, it was unimportant, you were just a weird kid.

-----

Micah huffed as he rummaged through his things, he could have sworn it was in his pocket but perhaps he had left it by his bedroll. The more he searched, the more he was beginning to think that he had lost it completely.

"Hi, Mr Bell. Are you looking for something?" your voice caught his attention. He huffed again as looked up from where he was kneeling, seeing you peering over his shoulder curiously.

"Run along, kid" Micah brushed you off.

"What are you looking for? I could help" you offered, his attitude not deterring you.

"I don't need your help. I ain't looking for anything" Micah snapped a little, annoyed by your pestering.

"Are you looking for this?" you asked, getting his attention again. Micah turned to you again to see you holding out a silver lighter.

"Where did you get that?" Micah snarled as he stood up, catching your wrist in one hand and taking the lighter from you with the other.

"Your pocket...when I was talking to you at that table" you confessed, clearly a little startled by him roughly grabbing your wrist but still not scared.

"You stealin' from me, kid?" Micah asked.

"You asked if I was any good at pick pocketing. I wanted to show you" you explained yourself.

"Next time you wanna prove yourself, steal from someone that ain't me" Micah released your wrist before starting to walk away.

"You have anyone in mind?" you asked, hurrying to catch up with him. He looked at you out the corner of his eye, a little curious. He couldn't decide whether the tone in your voice was playful or hopeful.

"Listen, kid. I don't know what you want from me but go annoy someone else" Micah huffed, still not understanding why you kept approaching him.

"You're no fun" you pouted dramatically.

"It ain't my job to entertain you. Get lost" Micah shook his head at you.

"Fine" you huffed in annoyance before turning on your heel and walking away.

"And don't steal from me again" Micah snapped, looking over his shoulder to make sure you heard him. You rolled your eyes at him and went to find something else to keep yourself busy.