"fuck!"

River pulled her car up to the apartment complex, the security guard taking the key from her telling her he will park the car for her since he had gotten to know what had happened.

"River, I am so sorry!!" Susan rose to her feet and hurried to her daughter as soon as River and Mateo dashed into the room.

Lilith looked up from where she was sitting, her face in her palms, fresh tears trickling down her face at the sight of her broken granddaughter.

River hugged her mother.

"It's not your fault." She whispered. "It's none of our faults."

"But-"

"Let's just preserve our energy to get my babies back safe, yeah?"

Susan nodded her head, a sudden determination shining in her eyes.

"Let's go Johnson!"

River turned to her best friend who looked like he was about to rip off someone's throat.

"Let's go." She blew out a deep breath and turned to Mateo.

"I will do what I can do." He said before she could thank him. He had a different, almost dangerous aura to himself.

He could help. She knew that.

He ran with the gangster crowd.

What River could not understand was why he was helping them out. Was he helping them out? Or did he have another agenda?

Maybe he was in on it?

Before River could voice her doubts and throw her many questions at him, Mateo turned on his heals and walked out.

Susan decided to do it the right way while her daughter filled Sebastian in on her little run in with our good old friend Eric Richards.

"If he's in on it-" Sebastian started but she cut him off. "He will lose more than just a tooth this time."

.
.
.

Mateo got into the car that was waiting for him.

"Who should I shoot?"

"You know who." Adam said as he drove off.

"What do you mean?" Mateo turned to him, his heart picking up pace.

No no no, she couldn't be involved in this.

"You should check this out." He said, passing his best friend the iPad he used for their business purposes. The mail was already open.

There was a mail from Mona Petrov, with an attachment.

Mateo quickly opened the mail and read through it.

[Picked up some goods today and stumbled upon these. Thought you would like these.

Call me anytime. ]

He tapped on the attachment. It was a photo. Of the twins sleeping. And the little boy had a finger-length cut on his head.

"She will pay." He gritted out.

"He really takes after you." Adam said solemnly. "One look at the photo and I was convinced that he was your son."

"And my daughter."

How he was staying so calm was beyond him. But he had to. The twins and River needed him, though they didn't know that yet.

He was going to figure this out.

"And even if it turns out that they aren't your children, you would still do this right?" Adam asked.

Mateo nodded. He was very much confident that the twins were indeed his. He just needed to get the paternity test done to confirm it. But if he was proven wrong, he still wouldn't have any regrets because he was doing this for one of the few women in his life who he valued more than himself.

"Mona might have kidnapped the kids because Susan Johnson was handling Benjamin Gale's case. She hit jackpot when she figured out that they are yours." Adam reasoned.

He nodded.

That made sense.

And if it was true, Mona wouldn't hurt them.

Her target would be River.

"fuck!" Mateo swore. "Turn the car around. I need to be with River."

"But capo, shouldn't we go get the kids first?" Adam asked and he realized he was parking the car in front of the Mafia House. Adam called his best friend capo only when he knew he was riled up and he needed to remind him who he was.

"Mona wouldn't hurt the babies now that she knows they are mine. But she will want the mother dead." Mateo told him his theory as he got off the car.

"Okay, I will send men to keep an eye on Dr. Johnson. We need to focus on getting your kids out of that evil witch's clutches." He said and stopped, blowing out a breath, and looked at his best friend with a small smile on his face. "You are a dad."

Mateo sighed too.

'I am a papa.' He thought.

It wouldn't be confirmed until the paternity test but his heart told him they are his. He prayed subconsciously that they are his.

.
.
.

____________________________