"I am Bianca. I was assigned to you last year." She said hopefully.

He nodded. He remembered the other brunette due to whom he still remembered Bianca and wondered if he could see her again.

"What brings you here?"

"My cousin had a baby."

"Oh, convey my regards."

He nodded again. He was too tired to even be mad. He had stayed awake all day yesterday and today. And it was past six. The adrenaline rush had passed. And he was beyond exhausted. He needed sleep.

"Where's Dr. Johnson?"

The two turned to look at a disheveled man around Mateo's age, his face etched with worry and his eyes sagging with lack of sleep. Mateo guessed he probably looked the same.

"She won't be back until tomorrow afternoon." Bianca smiled warmly. Was she always this nice? "Unless there's an emergency."

"Can I have her number?" He asked.

"No we can't do that-"

"I can call her for you." Mateo butted in, regretting it instantly. The exhaustion was messing with his head. And the man looked desperate. And seeing her after a whole year, he was desperate to hear her voice too.

"You can?" Both of them looked at him, dumbfounded.

"If she still uses the same number." He pulled out the phone from his pant pocket and dialed the number.

It rung four times before someone answered.

"Hello?" Said a small sweet voice. Mateo's breath hitched in his throat. "Dr. Johnson's phone." She continued.

"Can I speak to her?" He asked slowly. This must be her daughter.

"Mommy, a mister wants to speak to you!" He heard her yell and the sound of her running. Her voice was so melodious that it rung in his head as his brain etched it in his memory.

"Hello, Mr. Adesso?" River spoke after a few mumbles.

"Hi, someone wants to speak to you."

"Willow Jensen's father." He said and Mateo conveyed it to her.

"Yeah, hand him the phone."

The man moved a bit away and spoke to her.

"I didn't know you and Dr. Johnson were close." Bianca spoke up and he could see the evil glint in her eyes. Oh great, drama!

"My sister saved her number, just in case." Mateo shrugged, though Alessia had never seen River in her life.

She just nodded and walked away.

"Thanks." The man returned, passing him his phone.

Mateo nodded and resumed his task of getting food.

.

.

.

"So.. You and Mateo huh?" Jacqueline appeared out of nowhere, giving her best friend a teasing grin.

Now where the hell did she hear that from?

"Who?"

"You know, the hot Italian with the-"

"No, I mean who is gossiping?" River cut her off, ticking stuff off on her phone. A few more hours left and she could go home.

"Make a wild guess." She chuckled.

Oh she was enjoying this, wasn't she?

"Oh I don't know, someone that rhymes with wanka?" She rolled my eyes.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!!" She laughed, playfully hitting her back.

River rolled my eyes again.

"Dr. Johnson!"

She turned around to see a very familiar face walking towards them.

Isn't that the expensive cigar guy?

'Yep.'

"Um.. I remember you, just not your name." River smiled, pushing her hand forward.

"Leonardo Adesso and thank you so much for saving my wife and son."

Oh.

"Just doing my job." She gave him a smile.

'Is that relief I feel?'

'But why?'

Oh I don't know, maybe because a certain someone could be available?

"Hey could you come meet my wife?" He asked. "It would mean a lot."

"Umm.. I will come by after my rounds. Which room?"

"VIP seven." He said.

Wow, coincidence.

Why did she even remember that?

She nodded and he said his goodbye, walking away.

"Hmmm... I guess Bianca can't score with the infidelity angle. But.. Affair with a patient is still against professional etiquette." Jacqueline said, watching the new parent walk away.

"I slept with him after he was discharged from the hospital." River shrugged, pocketing her phone.

"You what?" Her eyes widened. "So it is true?"

The doctor smirked at her and walked away.

She was moody for the day. Lucas was an indoor person. Kiara and River weren't. It really didn't help that she wanted so bad to take her mind off a certain Italian who had waltzed back into her life.

Her phone buzzed in her pocket just then.

Talk of the devils.

It was a message, a selfie of Lilith and the twins, holding rainbow donuts to their eyes.

River's stomach reacted with a grumble.

"Oh thank you so much for the gut stimulation." She chuckled, typing in just that and hitting send.

She pocketed her phone again and sighed aloud.

Where was she again?

Rounds. Right!

.

.

.

____________________________________